BRRRR strategy without burning and repeating and scaling 2026 lender recommendation

BRRRR strategy without burning and repeating and scaling 2026 lender recommendation

Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 521 posts · 88 votes

I am almost done with Rehab at my distressed property. Currently I have a hard money loan. I purchased 144k and spent like 100k so far. Original approved rehab amount 80k by this hard money lender. This hard money lender said once all repairs are done submit photos to release 80k. I am planning to provide all the photos this Thursday once my handyman/contractor finishes everything ( i am thinking I should have used general contractor even though it might have costed more but avoided lot of stress from my side and multiple trips and baby sitting this handyman who does not understand,follow and most of things also i too do not know all things too). I hope this rehab lender pays me 100k instead of 80k (as scope and budget increased which is common in big rehavs (which I am doing for the first time) . Any good lender I can talk to will do DSCR or conventional cash out refinance. I spent 100k using personal loans and credit cards may not qualify for conventional loans now. Once I get rehab amount 80k-100k I can pay off most of the personal, credit card loans. I heard people do these kinds of BRRRR projects every 3 months or 6 months with these types of challenges without any money from their pocket or impacting credit. I wonder how. Please advise

1Reply
94 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denise WebsterBusiness Member
    Financial Advisor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 30 votes
    4mo

    This is a real BRRRR issue that a lot of investors do not fully understand until they are inside the deal. Since there are not any replies yet, I will give you the lender-readiness view.

    The first thing I would not assume is that the hard money lender will reimburse above the originally approved rehab budget. If the approved rehab holdback was $80K, many lenders will only release up to that approved amount unless the scope increase was formally approved before the work was completed. Photos help prove completion, but they do not always increase the approved draw amount.

    The second issue is the DSCR refinance exit. A DSCR loan may work, but it is not just based on the fact that the property is renovated. The lender will usually look at:

    - As-is value after completion

    - Appraised value, not your projected ARV

    - Lease or market rent

    - Property taxes and insurance

    - Whether the rent supports the payment

    - Credit/liquidity/reserves

    - Seasoning requirements

    - Current debt shown on your credit report

    The personal loans and credit cards matter because even if DSCR loans are property-income focused, many lenders still review credit, liquidity, and overall borrower risk. Paying those balances down after the draw is released may help, but timing matters because credit reporting may not update immediately.

    For your next step, I would build a clean refinance package before speaking with lenders:

    1. Final rehab budget vs. actual spend

    2. Before/after photos

    3. Contractor invoices and proof of payment

    4. Current rent estimate or signed lease if available

    5. Current payoff from the hard money lender

    6. List of personal debt used for the project

    7. Conservative value estimate with nearby comps

    8. Refinance goal: payoff only, cash-out, or partial capital recovery

    The bigger lesson is that the "BRRRR every 3–6 months with no money out of pocket" version usually leaves out the hard parts: cash reserves, draw timing, seasoning, appraisal risk, credit usage, and backup liquidity.

    You may still have a workable exit, but I would not wait until the hard money loan is due to test it. Get the DSCR refinance numbers modeled now using conservative rent, conservative value, and the actual debt stack.

    R.E.P. Financial LLC
  • Vijay FriedmanBusiness Member
    Miami, FL · Member since 2026 · 766 posts · 122 votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Gp G.:

    I am almost done with Rehab at my distressed property. Currently I have a hard money loan. I purchased 144k and spent like 100k so far. Original approved rehab amount 80k by this hard money lender. This hard money lender said once all repairs are done submit photos to release 80k. I am planning to provide all the photos this Thursday once my handyman/contractor finishes everything ( i am thinking I should have used general contractor even though it might have costed more but avoided lot of stress from my side and multiple trips and baby sitting this handyman who does not understand,follow and most of things also i too do not know all things too). I hope this rehab lender pays me 100k instead of 80k (as scope and budget increased which is common in big rehavs (which I am doing for the first time) . Any good lender I can talk to will do DSCR or conventional cash out refinance. I spent 100k using personal loans and credit cards may not qualify for conventional loans now. Once I get rehab amount 80k-100k I can pay off most of the personal, credit card loans. I heard people do these kinds of BRRRR projects every 3 months or 6 months with these types of challenges without any money from their pocket or impacting credit. I wonder how. Please advise

    Since you already have a hard money loan and are near the end of rehab, I’d focus on the exit strategy first: will the property be rented and held, or sold?

    If you plan to hold it as a rental, DSCR could make sense, but the key items will be after-repair value, lease/rent estimate, current payoff, seasoning, credit, and whether the lender allows cash-out to reimburse rehab/personal funds. Some lenders are stricter if the rehab was funded through personal loans or credit cards, so I'd get the exit loan reviewed before the hard money clock starts getting expensive.

    DreamPoint Capital
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.