Property Tax Time in Texas: Be sure to protest

Property Tax Time in Texas: Be sure to protest

Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Texas investors, do you protest your own taxes or pay someone to do it for you. If you're not protesting them at all read this;

Texas uses "mass appraisals," which is basically a guessing game based on square footage. They’re allowed to be off by 10%, which means on a typical rental, they could be over-valuing you by $30k or $50k. That’s roughly $50/month in extra taxes—if you’re aiming for $100/month in cash flow, the county just took half your profit.

Here’s the quick & dirty on how to fix it:

  • Watch the mail: You’ll get your value notice around April 1st.
  • The Deadline: You have until May 15th to fight it. Mark your calendar.
  • Get Comps: Don't guess. Ask your agent for actual MLS sold data to prove the house is worth less than what the county thinks.
  • File Online: Go to your county’s CAD website (like brazoscad.org), plug in your Owner ID from the notice, and upload your evidence.
  • The Win: About 90% of the time, they’ll cave and offer you a lower number just for showing up.

It takes maybe 20 minutes and can save you $600 to $2,000 a year.

Curious what everyone else does—do you guys DIY your protests or just hire a company to take a percentage of the savings?

0Reply
120 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5mo

    I think its an appeal not a protest.

    Either way they are easy to do.

    You can get sold comps off zillow.

    So I will either use comps or I will find 3 or so neighboring properties that lower (non owner) tax and use that in my appeal to show I am higher than everyone else.

    Both ways have been sucessful for me.

    If my property is not as nice as a company that has lower taxes, I will include pictures of my property to back up my appeal.

    • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I think its an appeal not a protest.

      Either way they are easy to do.

      You can get sold comps off zillow.

      So I will either use comps or I will find 3 or so neighboring properties that lower (non owner) tax and use that in my appeal to show I am higher than everyone else.

      Both ways have been sucessful for me.

      If my property is not as nice as a company that has lower taxes, I will include pictures of my property to back up my appeal.

      In Texas it is called a protest. I protest every year. Last year I got $503,000 knocked off my appraised values which equates into $12,000 or so less taxes that I would have had to pay. 
    • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
      OP
      Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I think its an appeal not a protest.

      Either way they are easy to do.

      You can get sold comps off zillow.

      So I will either use comps or I will find 3 or so neighboring properties that lower (non owner) tax and use that in my appeal to show I am higher than everyone else.

      Both ways have been sucessful for me.

      If my property is not as nice as a company that has lower taxes, I will include pictures of my property to back up my appeal.

      Yes protest is commonly used by home owners in our local area but yes you will officially "appeal" by signing into the respective portal on your local county's CAD. 

      In Texas you will not find sold comps on Zillow due to the state being a non-disclosure state. 
    • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
      OP
      Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Mike Kirby:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I think its an appeal not a protest.

      Either way they are easy to do.

      You can get sold comps off zillow.

      So I will either use comps or I will find 3 or so neighboring properties that lower (non owner) tax and use that in my appeal to show I am higher than everyone else.

      Both ways have been sucessful for me.

      If my property is not as nice as a company that has lower taxes, I will include pictures of my property to back up my appeal.

      In Texas it is called a protest. I protest every year. Last year I got $503,000 knocked off my appraised values which equates into $12,000 or so less taxes that I would have had to pay. 

       Thats huge! 

      I have one client who's county appraisal for 2026 is $800k with comps average $500-600k. Thats just one house, could save her $2k a year!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.