Question About Tenant Screening

6 Replies

Hello BP,

I'm in the process of renting the other side of my duplex, and just got through an eviction so I'm more cautious during my screening process. I have a potential tenant that filled out an application and everything seems ok except for the rental references; he claims that he has never lived on his own. He has been living with his mom for the past few years, so I have no previous landlord to call. What do you guys suggest here? Is it to risky?

Thanks,

Adrian

Originally posted by @Adrian Zamora :

Hello BP,

I'm in the process of renting the other side of my duplex, and just got through an eviction so I'm more cautious during my screening process. I have a potential tenant that filled out an application and everything seems ok except for the rental references; he claims that he has never lived on his own. He has been living with his mom for the past few years, so I have no previous landlord to call. What do you guys suggest here? Is it to risky?

Thanks,

Adrian

Is this guy closer to 20 than 40 or even 30?  I've got some friends from college that stayed at home for a couple years after graduating (my brother even did this).  If the guy is 35 years old then I'd be quite a bit more cautious.  I don't usually allow somebody without any rental history unless they're a freshman in college (I have some student rentals), they just graduated and lived at home in college or they recently had to sell a primary residence for some reason (divorce is one possibility).

Just because he says he lived at home doesn't mean he hasn't been living in apartments for the past few years and just doesn't want you calling his landlord(s).

Furthermore, the guy could be telling the truth. Did you do an eviction search, criminal search, does he have the income?

Joe Gore

@Michael Seeker  

Thanks for the reply, I haven't met the guy yet it was an initial online application. Tomorrow I'm going to show him the property and start my screening process. I will keep in mind the age, and will verify the income and check his background/ eviction record. Thanks guys for the tips is greatly appreciated.

@Adrian Zamora You should finish screening him first before you actually show him the home. No sense in taking time out of your day to show him the place and you later reject him as an applicant.

Why would a tenant fill out an application without looking at the unit?

Joe Gore

@Joe Gore 

Joe he just filled out a basic application showing interest  in property I then call them and prescreen them over the phone. @Eddie T.  You are right Eddie I normally prescreen them over the phone and then show them the property and make them fill out an application. Thanks.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.