Toilet recommendations for rental properties

14 Replies

American Standard Mainstream - $129 at Lowes. Tenants like having a recognisable brand and I do think it has better components than the very cheapest toilets. I have put two in rental units and have had no issues. The tenants like them and say that they flush very well.

Promotion
InstaLend
Nationwide Real Estate Lender
Grow Your Real Estate Business–No Doc Lender with No Upfront Fees
Fast & Reliable Financing for Fix&Flip, Rental, New Construction & MultiFamily Properties Nationwide
Learn more

I use Sterling Stinson Elongated from Lowe's for all of my rentals. It looks very nice for $159 in my opinion, and I haven't had any issues with it yet. There are only 2-3 toilets for each house so I try to make certain items in my rentals stand out. I don't use Glacier Bay in any of my rentals because it's generally the cheapest stuff you can find in Home Depot. 

It's all about perception. Do you want your tenant to think of you as a cheap landlord because almost all items in your house are the cheapest that can be found at Home Depot or Lowe's. 

As usual, just my 2 pennies. 

For a basic fix and flip anything with a nice elongated bowl and plastic seat will due. For long term rentals you want a tank that has a very sturdy connection to the bowl preferably a 3 pt connection so the tank wont wobble when the tenant flops their big ol butt on the seat after just getting out of the shower. The cheap Glacier bay uses a 2 bolt connection with a soft gasket between that allows the tank to wobble and snap if someone leans back into it. Ask me how i know this!!! I have always been favorable to the Kohler Wellworth Lite with elongated bowl. If you want to show off, hook it up with a slow close toilet seat which will help when the youngins want to play see saw with the seat. Think long term not up front cost.

American Standard Cadet 3, ~$130 at HD. One of the rare case where the best is the cheapest. I have 2 in my home, and they NEVER need a 2nd flush. I've installed 8 I think. And it comes with a slow close seat.  I've never personally seen a 3 bolt tank connection.

I recently started using the Gerber Viper toilet. It is indestructible. Nobody under 400 pounds will clog it unless they are competitive eaters. The wholesale price is $96 at the plumbing supply. I have also purchased the Gerber Avalanche once when they were out of the Viper. It was around $135, but has a three inch flapper. It's probably overkill, but I'm going to see which one I like better. For the cost savings, I would probably stick with the Viper.

Originally posted by @Rob K:

I recently started using the Gerber Viper toilet. It is indestructible. Nobody under 400 pounds will clog it unless they are competitive eaters. The wholesale price is $96 at the plumbing supply. I have also purchased the Gerber Avalanche once when they were out of the Viper. It was around $135, but has a three inch flapper. It's probably overkill, but I'm going to see which one I like better. For the cost savings, I would probably stick with the Viper.

One of the things I like about the Cadet 3 is the 3" flapper. Makes a huge difference.

I put the American Standard Cadet 3 in all of my rentals and have never had any problems. They are very well designed, easy to install, and easy to find replacement parts for. I pay about $139 for them at Home Depot, and the City of Tempe reimburses half of that price through their water conservation rebate.  One important thing to note is that these are single handle dual flush toilets, so you must instruct your tenants on how to properly flush them!

I recently purchased the American Standard "Mainstream" toilet from Lowe's by mistake. It had similar specs to the Cadet 3 and I thought they just called it something different at Lowe's vs Home Depot (big mistake!). The Mainstream is noticeably worse than the Cadet 3 in nearly all categories - harder to install (no plastic tools included, and all bolts require extra tools),  no soft close seat, smaller flapper, and different fill valve assembly. 

Originally posted by @Ryan Swan :

One important thing to note is that these are single handle dual flush toilets, so you must instruct your tenants on how to properly flush them!

Say what!!? Instruct me, I've seen no evidence of that, but maybe I've never read the instruction on how to flush.

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

@Johann Jells It's not listed as a formal dual flush model, but all plumbers have told me they still operate like one. Quick press of the handle for "#1", longer hold of the handle for "#2". You'll notice more volume of water and a longer flush cycle if you hold the handle.