Votes |
Short term lease funded by Insurance Company

Paul Cox
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Manassas, VA
Posted Jul 21 2014, 18:40

Ok BP,

I've got a 5 BR 2200 sf SFH that I've got up for rent on all the usual sites through postlets. I received an email today from an insurance company asking if my place was still for rent. The email went like this:

"I am doing an insurance relocation for a family from ----, NY that is displaced from their home due to a fire in their home and I am trying my best to find them a home that would accommodate a 3 month lease with the option to stay longer. Would this home work for something like that, maybe for a higher rent? Rent would be coming from the insurance company directly, And would be willing to pay $2500. A month for the 3 months and month to month after that."

My response to her was: 

"Yes, it is still available for rent and I also have it on the market to sell. If we were to allow the short term lease, would the tenants be up to allowing the occasional showing by my property manager/realtor?

Also, I normally run background checks on potential tenants, but in this case I would assume that the insurance company is vouching for the tenants?

The house is in the process of being moved out of and will be available for tenant occupancy NLT the 15th of August. Is that doable for your family’s situation?"

I'm asking $1650/mo as it stands right now.  We're not in a high demand market and I have had a few inquiries, but nothing serious over the last 3 weeks that I've had it listed.  

I'm seriously considering it, but I also know that after 3 months, we'll be into the Upstate NY cold and we may have even fewer opportunities.

So I'm asking for thoughts and things to discuss with the insurance agency when I talk with them tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Loading replies...