Please be warned before you rent-my experience

6 Replies

I had put an ad to rent a basement apartment in my 2 family rental and had a lot of response . One email I received was supposedly from one Vincent Prasad, an Indian from Hyderabad , working in Canada now. He was moving to Jersey City, he said and needed an apartment urgently . He said his company would send me whatever my rent, and  security deposit was , and that he was not choosy about the apartment.He wanted my name and address to send the checks .  I asked him to call me to discuss. When he called, I could tell it was a call from a computer. And I could barely understand his accent( I am an Indian American myself)He was clearly a black person, not Indian. When I asked what his place of origin was, he told me all sorts of stories about being born in India, growing up in England(this was no British accent -I can tell you that!!) and working in Canada. He needed to secure the apartment and wanted to send me checks right away. I smelt a rat right there. Then I asked him to first send me an employment letter from his company which he said they would not do. He didn't even give me the address of his company but said he would send me copies of his Indian passport for ID. I politely told him I would not rent without the employment letter and hung up . I sat wondering what he could possibly cheat me with, if HE was paying ME .Then my son showed me this article 

http://insiderealestate.heraldtribune.com/2013/11/04/nigerian-rental-deposit-scam-hits-sarasota/

Red flags all over the place. Good thing you caught them. 

Urgency. Wanting to lease without seeing it.  Wanting to rent even though not local. Wanting to send you money without seeing it. Not caring what the rental is like. No interest in the specific terms of your lease. Difficult or impossible to verify application items. Story that doesn't add up.  

Next. 

Promotion
REI Nation
Premier Property Management Group
Premier by REI Nation is the #1 PM Choice for Passive Investors
Looking for worry-free property management? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Property Management.
Download Now

I feel like there is a way for the government to trace these guys down to exact location. What they are doing is terrorism. Seems like a legit use of a rocket IMO ;)

Kind of like "Rachel from Cardmember services" that calls me weekly to remind me to test my smoke alarm ;)

Yes these scams exist nto only with rentals but any item being sold on Craigslist. I have become an expert at spotting and identifying these scams.

I usually mess with them and go as far as having them send me checks to get their hopes up. When I receive the check I usually write them back saying something silly like I received a higher offer on my item for sale could you call me to discuss paying more for then item if you are sstill interested?  LOL

These scams atre everywhere, it is amazing that people actually fall for these inthis day and age. Biggest tellt ale signs are the form letters they write when they respond to an add, as well as there funny english. They try so hard to sound American and blend in but it is painfully obvious.

regareds,

Chris

Originally posted by @Chris Masons:

... Biggest tellt ale signs are the form letters they write when they respond to an add, as well as there funny english. They try so hard to sound American and blend in but it is painfully obvious.

regareds,

Yes that is true even in the forums here on BP :)

Current tenants of mine almost fell for one of those rental scams. Property that should have been $1500/mo. was listed for $1200 using pictures from a legitimate for sale listing. Were told to go look at it from peeking in the windows.  Then they were supposed to wire money. Fortunately they clued in before they sent any money.