My renters are smoking pot...

My renters are smoking pot...

Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 230 votes

That title caught your eye, didn't it?

I have 4 tenants in this property.

So tenant A & B saying tenant C is smoking pot in the house (I've already given her a warning based on prior rumors). Also, tenant B says tenant D is doing it as well. I have written statements from both tenant A & B. Is that enough to evict the pot smokers?

1Reply
424 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike B.Pro Member
Developer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 434 posts · 357 votes
12y

saw this thread title in my email and had to come here and make sure it wasn't started by my landlord. Carry on...

See this reply in the discussion

189 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @?  Joe thanks for stepping into that one  I AM A POT Head..

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    12y

    Joe Gore, Are you High right now!?!?!

    I have read through everything thing here. Here is my take. There is obviously a lease violation, at least an accusation of one. You live at the property and would notice if they were dealing in any significant way. They sounds like good tenants outside of the hearsay from other residents. I have view places to purchase and found bongs in my walkthrough (most people might not look under the kitchen sink, but when buying a house it is a common place to look), I have had tenants complain of noise from other tenants and mention other tenants smoking pot. I speak to the accused tenant openly and we usually come to an understanding on how everyone can have a win win. If I get more accusations Iwill inform the accusing tenant that I can speak with the other folks again but at the end of the day my hands are tied when I have no proof. If the accused tenant admits it then I am aware. If not then the cops need to be called and that is a huge challange if you can even get enough evidence from that to justify an eviction. 

    Have tenant A and B asked you to get rid of them or do you feel you should do it after they mentioned it? I think I would just schedule a meeting with all of them. Leave all options open so be ready for all of them to stay and willing to fight or be ready for them all to leave. Just get to the bottom of the issue so you can get past this nagging issue...

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
  • None · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2014 · 126 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    I found out who the tenant is:  

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y

    @Taylor Chiu 

    Your thread certainly sparked a debate as to whether pot smokers should be evicted or left alone to enjoy their munchies.  At the end of the day, there is only one opinion that matters regarding YOUR situation.  If your wife wants them gone, then contact a lawyer and make it happen. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

      that's the difference of living in TExas and growing up in CA in the 60's and 70's this is old hat  been there done that many times over.

    IN Texas things are a little different.. and in many ways much better.. but no sense getting into a capital crime debate.

    I just remember Joe the very first post I made on BP were you questioned my creds.. I sent you a letter from JUST one of my closing attornies that I have closed over 400 transactions with since 2003 ... never heard a peep out of you since.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs,

    What did your 400 transactions have to do with pot heads? We do have our share of pot heads here in Dallas walking around throwing gang signs and their pants hanging to their knees, and you have to wonder what kinds of parents would let their kids run wild like that.


    Joe Gore

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

      Joe that's a little bit of stereo typing... Most true pot heads are mello folks... they smoke a bowl get the munchies watch TV... what your describing is hard core druggies.. Like coke, heroin crank speed, Ecstasy, Oxy  and all other types of pharms..... Your out of touch Joe plain and simple you did not have the benefit of growing up in N. Ca in the 60's and 70's

  • Lisa DoudBusiness Member
    Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 72 votes
    12y
    I just wanted to tell you that if my tenants have an issue with any other tenant in a multi-family building instead of giving me a written statement as to the violation (noise, drug,domestic abuse) I have my tenants call the police department and make a police report. I will then get a copy of the police report and use it as my evidence to give my notice to comply, then if they choose not to comply I have documented facts as to the lease violation. The big issue you have is that anyone can write a letter and say that your tenants are in violation but when you have one or multiple police reports you have an independent party taking the report. This has worked very well for me in the past.
    Doud Realty Services, Inc.3.8203 Reviews
  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

    Was that you driving this car?

    @j

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

      or that show were they use dummy cars that kids steal  bait car I think it is.. talk about entrapment... That's what joe is thinking about that type of thug.

    but in all seriousness bad tenants are a problem and a lot of times they have a bunch of friends and others that hang around or move in.. so its best to get rid of them. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I have grown up here in Dallas in the early 50s I have seen pot heads rob to steal to get the next fix, and I think Dallas is just as bad as any other city. You try to explain the risk of drugs to young kids, and they think they know everything. I think the parents should be the one going to jail their kids be sent to the juvenile hall. Maybe Jay will have an answer to the drug problems.


    Joe Gore

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I know you think you are the smartest kid in the room so can you explain your commit about entrapment.

    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Gosh, where is that darned "ignore Gore" button / function?!?

    And I'm not talking about the politician ...

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Steve Babiak

    Welcome back.

    Joe Gore

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Taylor Chiu:

    @Jay Hinrichs 

    So would 1 written statement be enough to evict a tenant? Or rather, would it be enough to hold up if she took me to court?

     Do they have a year lease or is it month to month? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    12y

    @Taylor Chiu Uggghh I've had a long week. Where is this POTprety of yours located again?!  

    Kudos,

    Mary

    j/k ;-)

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Taylor Chiu:

    Haha, sadly true. Well, it's marijuana, ecstacy, and shrooms, all inside the property. And it sounds like there might be some drug dealing going on too...

    What's the address? I'll check it out for you. 3 day weekend coming. Should give me plenty of time to investigate the situation. LOL

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Joe Gore, it appears that your issues is less about them smoking weed and more about something else...........Saggy pants and gang signs huh............ LOL

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Yes the tenant is breaking the law by possessing marijuana.  They also turned into the property without using a turn signal, littered and may have even ripped the tag off their mattress ! Even in TEXAS, you do not get arrested for being in possession of Marijuana.  You receive a ticket.  And......call the DEA ? Seriously, the DEA would laugh

         The OP has a tenant that does not agree with their values and their lease is up in 2 months.  Would y'all really go through the eviction process and spend all the $$$ as well as all the time and aggravation to MAYBE get them out a month sooner ?   Now,  I need to pull up my pants and go get my next fix.........coffee !

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    The DEA. LOL

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 89 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    Now,  I need to pull up my pants and go get my next fix.........coffee !

     Isn't that a controlled substance in Utah where the OP is?

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    12y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.