Tenant parking on lawn

6 Replies

Well now here is another clause to add to my 12 page lease.  I drove by my property and the tenant had parked his monster pickup on the lawn even though the drive way is quite long and the garage is huge.  I have given up asking why.  :(

Do I need to be concerned that this truck will damage the main sewer line or well pipes?  I would think they are many feet below ground, but my wife asked me this question, and now I am concerned. Is there anything to worry about? 

The guy's been watching too many truck commercials, I guess -- can't wait to go "off-roading" ;)

Seriously, I doubt the compaction would go down far enough to hurt the pipes, but it will definitely destroy the yard. 

Does the city allow it?  Around here they do not and they will cite you if there are car's parked on lawns.

Yep, here too.  Can't park in the yard.  It happens anyway at times, but if I see a tenant doing it I kindly tell them that city code doesn't allow it, and if we receive any notice of violation they will be responsible for 100% of the costs.

Never had one not moved by the end of the day.

Originally posted by @Jon Holdman:

Does the city allow it?  Around here they do not and they will cite you if there are car's parked on lawns.

Hi Jon.  This is a township, so I think anything goes there.  I will call the offices Monday to find out. You are a knowledgeable DIYer.  do I have to worry about the sewer or well pipes?  

I had it in my lease agreement "That  a tenant shall not park their vehicle(s) on the lawn or any other place on the property not designated as a parking area, or their vehicle will be towed at their expense"  and then saw they had a vehicle parked on the lawn or other area when I did a drive by, I'd take out my bright pink "Parking Violation" Sticker, stick it on the window of the car (under the windshield wiper) letting them know that they had 24 hours to remove the vehicle or the car will be towed.  Then, I'd follow up on that notice 24 hours later and if it wasn't moved, I was ready to move it.  Never had to tow any vehicle in the many years I had been a landlord. I would follow it up with letter to the Tenant stating that any future vehicle violation would be in violation of their lease agreement and subject for Termination of Tenancy. 

Not only do you have to worry about the pipes, but a vehicle is heavy and will damage the yard, will cause deep ruts in the yard, and depreciates the neighborhood.  Plus complaints from the neighbors, and is most likely an ordinance violation where your property is located.

Nancy Neville

Hi Nancy I still remember when you spoke at GLA about Quickbooks  it is nice to see you here.