Understanding the lease

7 Replies

I'm about to become a landlord for the first there is a section in the lease I'm unclear about. The legally described? 

non-real property items?

1. PREMISES: For good consideration, Landlord leases to Tenant the following real property:
Address: ________________________________________________________________
legally described as:________________________________________________________________
in _________________________County, Texas, together with the following non-real-property items:
__________________________________________________________________________________
The real property and the non-real property are collectively called the "Premises".

On the deed to the property, you should be able to find the legal description. If the property is in a town, there will likely be a lot, block and subdivision/addition. If the property is not in town, or is in an area where it is common to have some amount of land with the house, then there is likely surveyor's notes or metes and bounds. 

Edit: properties in Texas are not not legally traded by their address, but by their physical location on the ground. Thereby also transferring whatever may be built or attached to the ground. 

Originally posted by @Shay Linton:

I'm about to become a landlord for the first there is a section in the lease I'm unclear about. The legally described? 

non-real property items?

1. PREMISES: For good consideration, Landlord leases to Tenant the following real property:
Address: ________________________________________________________________
legally described as:________________________________________________________________
in _________________________County, Texas, together with the following non-real-property items:
__________________________________________________________________________________
The real property and the non-real property are collectively called the "Premises".

If you don't have immediate access to the deed you can go online to the County Appraisal District for the legal description.

I would not rely on the legal description from the County Appraisal District for a binding contract. Appraisal districts are for taxing purposes, and not for legal matters. I have personally seen too may errors on the CAD.

Non-real property items can include fixtures such as appliances, furnishings, and decorations like drapery and blinds, They may be listed on the lease for completeness. 

Okay thank you I found the legal described online. Non-real property items which I'm still confused about. I should list all the items that I have in my house? 

When I'm making the lease what do I write in the non-real property items?

Originally posted by @Shay Linton:

When I'm making the lease what do I write in the non-real property items?

I have a clause in there that notes things provided such as stove, fridge etc and state they cannot be removed.