Storing Items in Garages of Apartments

2 Replies

Hello everyone!

I am new to BP, and this is my first post!  Just a quick introduction - I am a commercial real estate agent here in LA and I specialize in multifamily investment sales!  I am also an onsite manager of a 24 unit building, and that is what this post pertains to.  

My question is for the landlords - how can I enforce the "no storing personal items in the parking garage" rule?  Tenants have started storing personal items in the garages around vehicles.  I know this violates safety codes and such, but how can I enforce this?  I have given them a deadline to remove personal items by the end of this month, but I'm wondering how I can enforce the ones who tend to ignore my requests?  Can I pack it up and donate it all?  Fine them?  

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Allison

Hi Allison. Welcome to BP! I would imagine that your lease has a clause that requires tenants to abide by local ordinances and the like. In that case, issue a cure or quit notice referencing this lease clause and the corresponding safety code and or ordinance. If no clause is in place or it would be too much of a steetch then introduce a new clause (rule) toyour lease if your lease permits such a thing. Mine does long as it does not materially affect the rights of my tenants but takes 2 weeks to take effect unless earlier approved andagreed to. 

Thanks, Kyle!!  Surprisingly, there is nothing in the current leases that states this.  I have a handful of tenants that tend to test the rules, so I have to truly enforce it in some manner. Thanks for your help.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.