Criminal, Credit, and Eviction background checks for Prospective Tenants

5 Replies

Hello BP Landlords,

I am trying to sort out the best option to get at this goal.

I have searched BP and have looked at the MySmartMove option, but it really seems that a nation wide criminal background check is a pipe dream, even though many say they can do this.

Thoughts?

Also keep in mind that those check do not show evictions, that have gone to mediation. Only the ones, where you received a writ. 

So, someone may have 10 evictions under their belt, but they always come to court and always mediate and get out, when they promised to be out - and nothing will show

The deck seems always stacked against the owner, who pays taxes I might add.

Thanks for pointing this out. I did not even think about that aspect.

Originally posted by @Tony Gunter :

The deck seems always stacked against the owner, who pays taxes I might add.

Thanks for pointing this out. I did not even think about that aspect.

It certainly seems that way doesn't it? In my experience a mixture of background checks, a little personal research, and meeting prospective tenants face to face is the best way to protect yourself. 

I require any applicants to come in and meet me at least twice: once when they fill out their application and again to look at the property.

I require they pay an application fee so I can pay to run their information through Myrental.com's screening service, and require that they provide me with at least two references from previous landlords or employers that I can speak with.

To touch on your original question: their criminal background check (http://www.myrental.com/products/criminal-search) lets you search county and statewide and also do multi-state searches so it's fairly comprehensive. 

bump

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.