Votes
Rob Randle
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
Votes |
New Landlord, Advice Appreciated

Rob Randle
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
Posted Nov 9 2014, 13:00

So I am a new landlord and will be leasing my first buy and hold property.  I will be renting in NJ and have done some research on renting in the state.

My plan is to get my lease off of ezlandlordforms.com.  I also plan to use the notices off this site because it sames easy and state specific.  I also plan to use the following addendums:

- receipt of keys
- zero tolerance for criminal activity
- early termination of tenancy addendum (2 months break-lease fee)
- tenant guest policy
- no smoking addendum
- tenant waiver of insurance (if they don't have any)

1. Does anyone know where to find or use a "deposit to hold form"?

2. I have read the NJ "Truth in Renting" guide that outlines landlord and tenant laws.  Is there any other required reading?

3. Dumb question: When I am meeting with tenant to sign the lease, do I have them sign two separate leases and have them keep one? I'm guessing I would have to take this approach with each addendum?

4. In the "How to Rent Your House" sticky in this forum it states that you should get the deposit from the tenant once the they have got accepted (through smartmove) but before you meet them to sign the lease?  What is the best way to collect this deposit before we meet to sign the lease?

5. Any value in meeting an attorney before I start leasing?  I would really like to bypass this expense if I can.  But if so, what type of value do they offer initially?

6.  Any other clauses that I can use to boost profitability? Ex: charging tenants if they lose their keys

I think that pretty much all my questions, thank you!

Loading replies...