Leasing to Waiter/Waitress

3 Replies

Not sure what to do here:

I had a young couple apply for a $1000 a month home, they are both servers at a  restaurant.  I have a letter from the manager on the length of years they have worked there and that they make $600-$800 a week  but their hourly is only $3.10. They both live with parents and don't have rental history. Tax returns will do me no good as they will only claim a portion of their income, I have the last 2 months of bank statements with cash deposits shown. They are a very clean cut couple.  The total move in amount is $2700 and between the 2 have around $5000 in the bank.  

@Tony H.  

Ill be interested what kind of responses you get on this but what you are asking seems to be a judgement call situation. Servers make up a lot of jobs nationwide but how many do it as a career?? Where is your couple heading... in school full time? Will their parent co-sign for them if need be? Do they seem clean cut but work as a server at a trashy strip club? Are they driving cars that you know will eat up at least 2 weeks worth of tips?

What does your gut tell you?

@Tony H.  

Another good strategy is to have the pay you 1/4 of the rent weekly.  They work in a cash based business so get to that cash before they spend it on their car, etc.  It will help their budgeting process and help assure that you get paid.

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now
Originally posted by @Aaron Montague :

@Tony H.  

Another good strategy is to have the pay you 1/4 of the rent weekly.  They work in a cash based business so get to that cash before they spend it on their car, etc.  It will help their budgeting process and help assure that you get paid.

I agree with Tony I have had several tenants that waiters and the best thing that i did was have them break their monthly rent in to 1/4 weekly. And its nice because you make more money  12X4=48 and you get 52 payments. And if they get tight on money you know it right a way. 

Although renting to people that work in a volatile cash industry is not preferred. Neither are empty units.

Hope this helps.