Neighbor's roof shingle cracked my window...

4 Replies

Last night it was extremely windy in my area and a roof shingle from the neighbors roof flew off and shattered the window on my building. I took pictures and have the actual 4 ft piece that flew off. It is obvious which piece flew off when you look at the roof.

I plan to ask the property manager next door to pay for my window. My question is what happens if he refuses? Do I just have to eat the cost? My insurance deductible is higher than the cost to replace window. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

@Roger Vi  in the insurance world the other owner has no obligation to pay for your window.  Go ahead and ask, but I don't not believe there is much more you can do about it.

Good luck

thanks for the reply @Jason Bott  , contacted my insurance earlier and they said the same thing....

Originally posted by @Roger Vi :

Last night it was extremely windy in my area and a roof shingle from the neighbors roof flew off and shattered the window on my building. I took pictures and have the actual 4 ft piece that flew off. It is obvious which piece flew off when you look at the roof.

I plan to ask the property manager next door to pay for my window. My question is what happens if he refuses? Do I just have to eat the cost? My insurance deductible is higher than the cost to replace window. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Personally I'd eat the cost rather than alienate a neighbor, this time...and I'd return the shingle just to make him 'aware' of his potential leak. IF it were to happen again it would then be negligence on his part.

@Tom Lane  Actually, I think this would fall under the "act of god" clause in the insurance world and not be negligence on the other homeowner's part.  For instance, I had a tree from my neighbors yard fall and hit part of my house in a storm.  The tree was healthy.  My insurance adjuster came out and declared it was not the tree owner's fault and my own insurance would be responsible for payment.  If the tree had been dead, that would have been a different story (negligence).  To extrapolate to this situation, I wouldn't think the other owner would be responsible unless his roof was already falling apart and did nothing to fix it.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here