Units keys

10 Replies

What does everyone do about the keys when a renter leaves? Do you change the locks when the tenant leaves?

Crazy question, how do u know a tenant doesn't make a copy of keys and break in and steal stuff later? I know, major paranoia.

I buy a double set of two-packs of locks at Lowes to get 4 locks all keyed the same.  They come with a 4 digit number on the key and I engrave the same 4 digit number on the lock. 

4 locks covers pretty much any house,  3 entry doors and a garage door. 

When a tenant moves I replace all the entey locks. (takes only 5-10 min per door) 

I then put all the locks I removed in a ziplock bag on a shelf and reuse them eventually. 

Some people re-key,  but these locks are so cheap and quick to replace,  that's  what I do. 

I change the locks every time a tenant changes.  I have multiple sets that I rotate but I try to avoid using the same lock at the same location.

We change the locks at every turnover.

We also change the locks everytime we make an aquissition. 

Too much liabilty risk to skip out on this step.

Updated over 3 years ago

acquisition*

Awesome stuff! Do they make a lock that is digital and you can just change the code each time?

Change everything over to a Kwikset smart key when you acquire a new property.  Then they are super easy to change, and you don't have to keep up with extra sets of locks sitting around your garage.

They have locks that can be re keyed very easily.  You put the old key in, turn it half way, then take it out, you then use a special key (that only you have) in the side of the lock, put in the new key and turn it the rest of the way.  It will set the lock to the new key.  This allows you to set the same lock to a different key, without the need to change the lock itself.  This way you will not need to change locks, store them, and no need to keep track of which lock was on which apartment.  It makes things a lot easier.

It is always a good idea to change the locks every time a tenant moves out.  There is too much liability not too, you just never know.

Originally posted by @Michael Herr :

I buy a double set of two-packs of locks at Lowes to get 4 locks all keyed the same.  They come with a 4 digit number on the key and I engrave the same 4 digit number on the lock. 

4 locks covers pretty much any house,  3 entry doors and a garage door. 

When a tenant moves I replace all the entey locks. (takes only 5-10 min per door) 

I then put all the locks I removed in a ziplock bag on a shelf and reuse them eventually. 

Some people re-key,  but these locks are so cheap and quick to replace,  that's  what I do. 

I do the same thing. A double lock set is normally about $30 and if I can get them on sale, I can get them as low as $15.

Originally posted by @Reggie Maggard :

Awesome stuff! Do they make a lock that is digital and you can just change the code each time?

Certainly.   They also make digital locks where you can change the code remotely, or give a one time code to service personnel, etc.

Change out the locks.  Foolish not to.

I use the Kwikset Smartkey locks that @Dawn Brenengen  mentioned and I change the locks after every tenant. It takes less than 5 minutes to change all of the locks in the entire house with the Smartkey system. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.