Credit and background check

6 Replies

I am a first time landlord and wanted to know how I go about conducting credit and background check on applicants.

Thanks.

I use and have all my clients use mysmartmove.com.  I have the applicant pay for it as their application fee.  Mysmartmove.com collects the payment directly from the applicants.  There are lots of other similar companies on the web offering similar services but this is the one I have dealt with.  My results have proven time and time again to be positive.

Originally posted by @Larry P. :

I use and have all my clients use mysmartmove.com.  I have the applicant pay for it as their application fee.  Mysmartmove.com collects the payment directly from the applicants.  There are lots of other similar companies on the web offering similar services but this is the one I have dealt with.  My results have proven time and time again to be positive.

Awesome and good info.

Thank you Larry. Do they charge a month membership fee? If yes, how much?

No - it cost you ZERO if you have the applicant pay it as an application fee.  No membership fees etc.  On my rental listings I state "Credit,criminal and rental history check on all adult applicants by mysmartmove.com.  $30 application fee for each adult applicant".   This alone helps screen out ineligible applicants.  I get their preliminary application and if it meets my posted Tenant Selection Criteria then I logon to mysmartmove.com and enter the applicants info.  Mysmartmove.com emails the applicants and collect the fee and after the applicants complete the process you get an email back with the results and even a recommendation based on the criteria you provided.  I know there are other services like this but this is the only one I have used and have had excellent results.

This is very helpful Larry. Thank you very much.

I checked it out, and registered. Thank you.