• Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Beware of Kwikset Smartkey Deadbolts

Eric Gutierrez
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Jan 15 2015, 14:14

I just wanted to share some more recent experience with Kwikset deadbolts as I have recommended them to numerous people in the past.  Since early 2011 I have been installing Kwikset Smartkey deadbolts in all of my properties.  I currently have somewhere between 16-18 deadbolts installed.  In the last 12 months or so I have had to replace 3 of the earlier units due to them completely failing and locking tenants out.  Luckily my properties all have two doors and I haven't had both locksets fail at the same time.  

Now, more recently I purchased a brand new off the shelf unit and wound up getting locked out of my property with my keys, tools and cell phone inside the property (this happened in the winter in MN).  Luckily my vehicle was unlocked and I was able to beat the lock into submission with a trailer hitch of all things to regain access.  Basically I installed the lock, stepped outside to test it using the supplied keys.  The deadbolt slid to the lock position and then when I went to unlock it the inner cylinder and the key popped out of the lock sending the lock pins flying all over.  

Below is a copy paste of  Kwikset's response...I expect better.  I invested in their product and purchased more locksets than I would imagine 99.9% of homeowners purchase in a lifetime.  

Case Number: 201501811889

Subject: Lock Failures and Out of the Box Issues

Description: 

Hi,

I have been installing your Smartkey deadbolts on my rental properties since early 2011. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 of your smartkey deadbolts currently installed. I have been pretty happy with them, but I’m running into some issues lately. Some of the early deadbolts are getting really flukey and resetting themselves sporatically. I’ve replaced a 2 of the original 2011 deadbolts and I have another one that it looks like I’m going to have to replace.

A couple weeks ago I was installing a brand new deadbolt that I purchased at Home depot. I was just finishing installing it and stepped outside to test the lock (leaving my car keys, wallet, phone and tool bag inside the rental property). The door locked perfectly, but when I went to unlock it the lock cylinder spun and pulled out with the key locking me out of the property as well as leaving me stranded with no phone and no keys. It took me about an hour to gain access back to the rental with the random tools I had in my luckily unlocked car.

Now just yesterday I purchased a brand new lock from Home Depot. I installed it and when I finished up I went to test it and the keys that came with it don’t work in the lock. Tonight I’m going to have to go over there and remove the lock and return it. I really really like the rekeying ability of these locks, but with the failures I’ve been having I’m extremely frustrated. At roughly $40 a pop I have invested a lot of money into a lock system that I had hoped would simplify my life.

Eric

CASE DETAILS
Case Type: Warranty Smartkey- Deadbolt
Submitted: 1/2/2015
Case Category: Warranty Smartkey- Deadbolt
MESSAGES ADD MESSAGE
SubmittedSubmitted ByDescription
1/5/2015Customer Service (Norman)Hello Eric Gutierrez,

The cylinder that pulled out may just be missing a clip that holds it in place, do you have this product still and can e-mail a picture of it?

The last item without the key working may be able to be corrected?
The Key may not have been inserted all the way when it was keyed in the Factory? Try this step first, insert the key all the way in. Slowly remove key while trying to turn, if key moves reset the key again and if not it must be reset with a Tool called the Cradle. Lowe's and Home Depot should have this Cradle and other retailers may have it now also. Can this cylinder be taken to be reset?

1/8/2015Eric GutierrezThe one that the cylinder fell out of I think I still have it. I used a trailer hitch reciever and a prybar to beat it into submission so that I could unlock the door with a pocketknife. This was all I had available to use due to being locked out of the house in December in Minnesota with no car keys, wallet, cell phone.

I went back the next day and swapped out the lock and returned it and replaced it.

1/14/2015Eric GutierrezNot sure why this still says waiting on customer.

1/14/2015Customer Service (Norman)Hello Eric Gutierrez,

The message says waiting because you do not have access to change it to any thing else and we have not opened your e-mail to answer back.
Sounds like you have it all replaced so you do not need any ting from us?.

1/15/2015Eric GutierrezYes, at this moment I do not need anything else. I would like to say I am disappointed in Kwikset's response to what happened. I will not be recommending your locks any more.

-Eric

1/15/2015Eric GutierrezI saw last night that I do have the deadbolt that I had to demolish to gain access back to the property. I guess i will go ahead and just toss it.

1/15/2015

Customer Service (Norman)

Hello Eric Gutierrez,

This is the warranty department, we replace items that break that are under warranty. If you do not need the one item replaced we will close this e-mail case.

1/15/2015Eric GutierrezSo the fact that I'm seeing multiple failures in your deadbolts roughly 2-3 years after they are installed is normal?

1/15/2015Eric GutierrezCan I get reimbursed for the lockset that failed out of the package. I had to physically mangle to gain access to my property so I doubt that Home Depot will accept the return.

Loading replies...