Ceiling leak into my bottom floor unit condo

6 Replies

I have a ceiling leak in the kitchen of my bottom floor condo. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem with a bottom floor unit? If so, who should be responsible for this repair? Thanks

I don't have much experience but sounds like the leak may be coming from the unit above yours & you need to speak with them . Take pictures & document everything. You may also want to speak with the HOA.

I'm 90%sure that the unit above you has a leak in their kitchen and then there is a small chance its coming from the outside. Either way, take pictures and contact both your neighbor and hoa. Both parties should get people to look at the problem.
Their insurance sure cover for your damages in your condo.

Thanks for the response Thomas, that is exactly what I was thinking. I've already contacted the HOA, I'm just having a hard time getting a hold of the tenant above me.

Originally posted by @Lloyaal Thomas :

Thanks for the response Thomas, that is exactly what I was thinking. I've already contacted the HOA, I'm just having a hard time getting a hold of the tenant above me.

You'll want to check your docs on this. We're able to give an owner "reasonable" (read: 48+ hrs) notice and enter their unit to investigate leaks. If it's not in your docs and your association has a good PM, they'll have put into place a resolution specific addressing this. You can't just break into someone's unit but the managing agent can and should arrange this if the owner above isn't being responsive.

As for liability, you'll have to determine if the leak is coming from:

1) Inside (above the floor and not within the wall) of the unit above you-which would be that unit owner's responsibility

2)  Common area water lines (in between your ceiling and the floor above, or within the wall between units) which would be an association responsibility.

Hopefully you have insurance in the event it's the owner above responsibility, and he doesn't have insurance/can't collect.

have did this a few times the best thing is to go threw the building and they will get in contact with the owner and have a plumber or contractor to come by and see were the leak is coming from and fix the repairs and fix yours. You can also go threw your insurance and they will fix it and bill the owner . But look threw your condo Doc it should have something in there about this to be on the safe side.If its just one time it could have came from them spilling something on the floor . If it happens may be once a day its waste and if it just keeps coming down but real small could be a leak from water lines in there unit .

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.