Votes
S. Perry
  • Central, OH
Votes |
Termination of Gas service

S. Perry
  • Central, OH
Posted Jan 18 2015, 08:44

I received a notice from the gas company on 1/17 that the gas service at my SFH is being shut off on 1/22. This is the first notice I have received. The tenant is behind $140 and no payments have been received since Oct 16th, 2014.

A funny add-on to this is that I have an appliance repair scheduled for a gas range that isn't working....tomorrow. The electrical control panel is out so no way to use the actual oven/settings but the stove top is working fine...at least until Thursday! I am wondering if I shouldn't just cancel the $190 repair and wait to see if tenants pay their bill. <sarcasm> I won't cancel the repair.

I plan on calling the gas company tomorrow. No reason to call the tenant before hand. They would just lie. "I thought wife was paying, or - she thought I was paying, etc...).

Their lease states they are responsible for keeping utilities on. I sure would like to get rid of them for many reasons. I don't suspect they won't pay their bill but they will still have hot water due to an electric hot water tank. Of course it might get a bit cold! It is winter in Ohio after all. 

How have you handle this situation? Can't afford to have the pipes freeze. Bad situation all the way around. I will be contacting them to at least let them know that I was notified.

Loading replies...