Utah County Section 8

6 Replies

Is there anyone around that has section 8 rentals in Utah County (or especially in Provo)?

Hi Benjamin,

None of my current rentals have Section 8 tenants, but I have been looking into it as an option. I've met with representatives of the Housing Authority of Utah County. I recommend you reach out to them. Amber M. has responsibility for the Section 8 program there. Please feel free to tell her that I suggested you call. She is very helpful. You can get a lot of questions answered by them. I'm also happy to provide input. 

I can tell you that they do have a need, especially for one bedroom apartments.

It's also helpful to know that Provo city has its own housing authority if you are focused there specifically. Everything else in Utah county is handled by the HAUC.

Benjamin I've got a longterm Section 8 tenant in Provo.  Been there ever since I bought it and I couldn't ask for a better tenant.  What are looking to find out?

Thanks for the quick response.  I'm looking to turn my current residence into a rental in a couple months, and I'm just looking at my options.  I've heard a lot of good stuff about section 8, and am glad to hear that your experience has been so great.  

I want to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later so I don't have a huge lag time.  About how long in Provo does it take to get approved to rent to section 8 tenants?

Ward was spot on about the Provo Housing Authority.  Go drop by and they'll give you all the info you need to know.  They're near downtown and are very helpful.  

I would strongly recommend going the Section 8 route.  Payment is direct deposit and guaranteed 1st of every month.  The tenants are more longterm and in my experience consequently care more about the property / yard because it's almost like 'their' home as opposed to transitory students who generally view most everything as the landlord's responsibility. 

This post has been removed.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here