Garage as second rental on property

5 Replies

I have a small building on a property thats already a rental . It has a full bath, and seperate meter  . It is small 22 by 22 ft . I want to do something different . I am going to renovate it as a studio for artists.  Basically it will have the full bath room , a refrigerator , a counter with a sink and cabinets ,and outlet for a kiln ( that outlet could also be used for an oven)  The rest of the building would be open.  Here is the problem , if I put in a closet and oven , it is considered a house , with those it is studio , a place to do things .  Now I wont be able to stop anyone from staying the night . But I will have in my lease it is not a residence .  How do you think this will fly ?

So the structure was built with the purpose of being a garage?

I wouldn't allow anyone to live in the property if I were you. I'm not sure what your state is like but in CA you can get into a lot of trouble. Garage's aren't built to the same code as a single family residence. These codes are put in place so that people living in the structure can stay safe. Feel free to rent out the garage with the purpose of extra storage but advertising it as a place to live is a no.

Are you in a commercial zone?  Can you rent it as a studio or office?

Originally posted by @Stanley Okazaki :

So the structure was built with the purpose of being a garage?

I wouldn't allow anyone to live in the property if I were you. I'm not sure what your state is like but in CA you can get into a lot of trouble. Garage's aren't built to the same code as a single family residence. These codes are put in place so that people living in the structure can stay safe. Feel free to rent out the garage with the purpose of extra storage but advertising it as a place to live is a no.

I got the impression he wants to rent it out as commercial space (working space during the day).  There might still be some code issues with conducting business there but I'd guess that's a much lower bar.

@Nathan Emmert  I just re-read his post and you're right. I guess I got flustered because we had gotten in trouble for a family living in one of the garages we rented out. 

I am going to rent it as a hobby shop ,  there will be no cooking facilities . There was a bath with a shower already in it . It has its own electric meter . I cant rent it as a dwelling to be lived in . But I also cant control the hours some one spends there .   If someone stores their own oven , bed , television , dressers , rugs and clothes in there that would be up to them . Naturally the lease will state the building is not to be lived in . 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.