Appliances for rental

14 Replies

Hello BP members,
I have a dishwasher going out in one of my rentals. I don't need to buy anything fancy but I don't want to buy junk either. What are your recommendations for solid, well built but simple appliances.

First I would consider what my rent is.  If your renting to people who pay say over $1,000 in monthly rent then maybe buy then I might spend around $400 for an ok dishwasher but if its under that I would purchase the cheapest one at Home Depot for about $225. 

all rentals get the HD $299.all of them. 

I know appliances are expected in apartments but I do not include them in houses any longer.  Not even for section 8.  If the tenant is responsible enough to get/keep their own appliances I think they're going to be more solid than the ones who can't.  Put your money into better finishes and amenities that don't break down so quickly.   

Best,

- Chuck

Originally posted by @Chuck B. :

I know appliances are expected in apartments but I do not include them in houses any longer.  Not even for section 8.  If the tenant is responsible enough to get/keep their own appliances I think they're going to be more solid than the ones who can't.  Put your money into better finishes and amenities that don't break down so quickly.   

Best,

- Chuck

I agree. Apartments yes. Houses no appliances.

In my area appliances are expected ($1400-$1600 rents). I even include a refrigerator although that is "hit or miss" on whether its required. 

@Elizabeth Colegrove as someone who buys homes and lives in them then turns them into rentals when they move 

(i'm pretty sure this is what you & your husband do, correct me if im wrong)

I assume you are leaving your old personal appliances in the homes?

Do you leave them as a tenant convenience that you will not repair or replace or do you repair or replace them if there is an issue?

We do both, pure rentals and personals. We buy mid grade appliances for both tenants and ourself. We leave them and fix it as needed! We don't do as is as our areas require appliances. The areas we buy even as pure rentals are a large personal property turned rental area. So that is who we compete with. We do not leave washer and dryers! They ad no value except repair costs!

That being said we try to get the mid range as we have found the cheap ones break easily ! we do have a $100 deductible for repairs we have started (for skin in the game).

@Elizabeth Colegrove Nice, I like the skin in the game idea. 

Around me there are a lot of scratch-and-dent/used appliance dealers.

I have a few that I like to go to and have a relationship with the dealer. I usually try and buy the nicest product that he has. If it is an electric stove that might run me $200. Washers and dryers are about the same. Dishwashers are cheaper.

For such a low cost it is often a better option than trying to repair what I already have, and if it breaks down a few years later no problem. That is what I go with for my older rentals.

For my newly-renovated places I buy the shiny new products to attract the top of the line tenants.

Buy used off of craigslist. Best deals on there

I bought a stainless-fronted dishwasher off HD during a sale for something like $275. When others go out, they'll be replaced with the lowest-cost, aesthetically-pleasing replacement. I may also offer the tenants a credit in that amount to purchase one of their choice.

Originally posted by @George P. :

all rentals get the HD $299.all of them. 

No they get the nice $75 used Whirlpool from the apartment rehab place.  Along with the $100 matching stove and the $100 matching refrigerator.  If there is a place for it I also add the $50 over stove microwave.  Clean well functioning units and we haven't had any issues except one frig that they swapped out for us.  I always keep at least one full kitchen setup in storage at any give time.

i will never, ever buy a used appliance. will use it if given to me for free... but not buy it.

Dishwashers have a shorter lifespan. We follow our plumber's advice, buy new not used. Too much risk with water leakage problems and failures with used dishwashers. They are not an expensive appliance and tenants like new. 

Newer appliances attract better tenants. We don't buy top of the line, or bottom of the line. We buy appliances that are easy to clean, easy to repair and have a good track record for durability. For ranges and refrigerators we will by either "new" or used that are "like new". 

We don't hook up water to refrigerators, too risky for water problems. Water going where it shouldn't be going is one of the hardest things on a house or apartment. That is why we also do the install or check the install on all appliances that use water or have the potential for using water.... washing machines, dishwashers, garbage disposals, refrigerators, and hot water heaters.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here