It's always a good thing when your MF tenants get along right? Wrong!

61 Replies

This was a new one for me today.

We have a side by side duplex. Had to evict both tenants. Move out day for one unit was today, the other unit is 9 days from today. 

The tenants did not vacate the premises so my guys show up with the movers & bailiffs this morning. Movers start taking everything to the curb and the guy from the other unit decides to let the evicted tenants move themselves & all of their belongings into his unit. Nothing we can do. Totally legal.

Frustrating...Very frustrating.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

Unreal . Some tenants can be such a nightmare .

I'm shocked...best of luck.

Last summer we started the eviction process on one of our tenants at our 8-plex. Of course she stopped paying her electric bill before she stopped paying her rent. When the utility company caught up with her and put a lock on the meter, one of her neighbors decided he would be "neighborly" and let her plug in an extension cord from his unit to hers. We didn't see it coming. On lock out day, with the sheriff present and the tenants out for the day, we entered the unit. It was unlocked of course because of the heavy duty orange extension cord going through the open front door... it was attached at the other end to a multi-outlet strip, into which the tenant had plugged in several lights, the stove, and the refrigerator!  By the way, the "neighborly" tenant was evicted three months later after he stopped paying rent too. Oy Vey!

Tenant to be evicted is just getting even while they have that opportunity ...

Then there was the tenant who was being evicted and doubled her belongings in one day. It happened one week before the lockout date (which of course is kept secret from the tenant). We saw a U-Haul truck arrive and thought "Great! The tenant is clearing out!" Wrong! She was moving more stuff in that had come from a storage locker of hers, where she had also stopped paying rent. On lock out day we had to move the entire contents of the household into a storage locker and store it for 45 days until she came up with the moving and storage fees to get her belongings back. Which she eventually did.

Haha @Marcia Maynard , totally have seen the extension cord trick too. The HUD inspector who was in the process of flunking the gentleman was even less impressed than I was.

The eviction started at 12:30pm this afternoon. It is now 3:50pm & the guys are still there. Guess there was so much stuff it all couldn't fit into the other tenants unit so the tenants had some U-haul trucks come & take some of it away.

I should have some pictures here shortly.

216-661-6633

@James Wise  time for an interior inspection of tenant about to be evicted ; the photos of how they violate occupancy rules for single family residence would be amusing :)

I can't imagine how frustrating that would be. Wow. 

@James Wise  I'm curious if now the sheriff won't be able to lock out the tenants at your subsequent eviction in 9 days:  I have heard of cases where a landlord files for eviction against Tenant A, then when the sheriff shows up, Stranger B is living in the unit and the sheriff can't kick out Stranger B because he/she is not listed on the eviction, so the landlord doesn't get the unit back and now has to start over with evicting Stranger B.

This is the reason I've been told that when evicting, you should name all occupants and then add "and John Does 1-10" just in case they've moved someone in to prevent the lock-out.  If you did that, you should be covered.

Let us know how things go.  Good luck!

Originally posted by @Kimberly T. :

@James Wise I'm curious if now the sheriff won't be able to lock out the tenants at your subsequent eviction in 9 days:  I have heard of cases where a landlord files for eviction against Tenant A, then when the sheriff shows up, Stranger B is living in the unit and the sheriff can't kick out Stranger B because he/she is not listed on the eviction, so the landlord doesn't get the unit back and now has to start over with evicting Stranger B.

This is the reason I've been told that when evicting, you should name all occupants and then add "and John Does 1-10" just in case they've moved someone in to prevent the lock-out.  If you did that, you should be covered.

No we don't have that problem. Cleveland is actually pretty landlord friendly. They will give every person who is on the premises the boot.

216-661-6633
Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Kimberly T.:

@James Wise I'm curious if now the sheriff won't be able to lock out the tenants at your subsequent eviction in 9 days:  I have heard of cases where a landlord files for eviction against Tenant A, then when the sheriff shows up, Stranger B is living in the unit and the sheriff can't kick out Stranger B because he/she is not listed on the eviction, so the landlord doesn't get the unit back and now has to start over with evicting Stranger B.

No we don't have that problem. Cleveland is actually pretty landlord friendly. They will give every person who is on the premises the boot.

Good to know. :)  Reason #4391 why we won't be buying any more rentals in CA.

Eventually the other tenants hospitality ran out

but they did leave this sweet swisher sweet wrapper collection

I took over a foreclosure, with a lot of stuff in it.  Place finally cleaned up and almost ready to rent.

Real clever long term planning by the evicted tenant. Move right into a place that's already red tagged for an eviction a few days in the future.

Just goes to show you that he has the "tenant" mentality and not the "investor" mindset.

Timothy Murphy III, Real Estate Agent in OH (#SAL.2016005240)
440-374-8403 x210

@Kimberly T.  

@Ron Drake  

@Ryan Dossey  

( I think I got everyone)

Thank you all for your comments. As you can see from the photos John posted the other tenant quickly became upset with the situation & no longer wanted them to move any more of their things in his unit. So I guess they got evicted twice in the same afternoon. Rough stuff.

This business sure has ups & downs sometimes all in the same day. : )

216-661-6633

Wow! @James Wise  hopefully you can get some better tenants in there next time. Some people are baffling.

horrible all the way. When my tenants are friends they tend to share what ea is paying in rent. My long termers are usually paying less...which upsets the newer arrivals. 

Originally posted by @Eva S.:

horrible all the way. When my tenants are friends they tend to share what ea is paying in rent. My long termers are usually paying less...which upsets the newer arrivals. 

Yea that is always a P.I.A. when that happens.

216-661-6633