Votes
Danielle Moser
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Adding a tenant

Danielle Moser
  • Buffalo, NY
Posted Mar 17 2015, 08:36

I have a tenant who has been an issue from the 2nd week he moved in.  Many of the problems cannot be resolved due to my lease.  I'm a new landlord and have learned a lot for the next time!  However, in the meantime, my question is - if my tenant has a guest past 2 weeks, can I request to add that "guest" to the lease for at least a month-to-month basis while they stay there?  This is now the 3rd "guest" who is staying for well over a visitation period.  Based on his lying history, I'm assuming this newest 'guest' will be here until the end of his lease on September 30th, despite him saying it will be 2-6 weeks.  Unfortunately, I don't have a visitor policy in my lease (again, I've learned a lot from my 'new landlord ignorance') but I want to protect myself.  This is now the 2nd person I would be adding to the lease as he has already had a 'guest' that had been there for 3 months and I finally demanded she sign a lease and fill out an application.  With it being now a 3rd person living there, when I originally signed a lease for just one person, I would like to raise the rent as well for the added wear-and-tear.  Has anyone experienced this, and how did you handle it?  I appreciate any advice.  Thank you!

Loading replies...