Rental tenants

7 Replies

I was contacted by a company that works with the department of human services. They are contracted to find rental property for high level sex offenders. Rents and lease will be in the name of the company The tenants are monitored daily and also have a gps bracelet. What are your thought on renting to this company.

Pros. Guaranteed rents paid by company, tenants will be monitored, and they will sign a 2 -3 yr lease

Cons. Possibly dealing with community backlash, possibity of turnover ( them not me) although it would be more wear on the house

Any other pros/ cons or thought on the subject.

I would be open to it, but only with a SFR to avoid issues with my other tenants.

By the way, if you want everybody to read this post, I'd consider renaming it with the word "sex" in the title.

Be aware of the other baggage they carry. They would not fit my rental criteria, but for someone who has the kind of property that would be a good match and can handle this type of tenant, it would be an interesting niche market. Considering how tough it is for sex offenders to find housing, you would have a steady stream of prospective renters and would be providing a service to the greater community. People with this type of past need to live somewhere. Better it be under supervision. Could probably get higher rents too for taking on the additional risk.

@Jason C. I agree.  I would definitely stay away if they're going in to multi fam! I had one move in, and before I knew it folks with kids were outa there!!  I would check crime locator and see if there are other offenders nearby.  If so, what's a few more.  But ICK!! I wouldn't do it, but those are my personal feelings.   

On principle, no way.

I suggest you call your insurance company and see if they'd cover you for liability.  That may answer your question right there.

I sell insurance and I don't see how them renting a house from me would increase my liability. The state department of corrections has said they are rehabilitated. I rented them a house. If I rent you a house and you commit a crime should I be held liable? There past doesn't make me more or less liable for their actions. I am looking at it purely as an investment. Without moral or personal judgement. They have stated they except to pay above market rent.

I sell insurance and I don't see how them renting a house from me would increase my liability. The state department of corrections has said they are rehabilitated. I rented them a house. If I rent you a house and you commit a crime should I be held liable? There past doesn't make me more or less liable for their actions. I am looking at it purely as an investment. Without moral or personal judgement. They have stated they except to pay above market rent.

I thought about a duplex and they would need to rent both sides. If I did duplex I would have one lease for both units with a stipulation that they had to rent both sides. Otherwise it would be very hard to rent out the other unit

@Shawn Pehrson I totally disagree about not increasing your liability.  I be willing to bet that a judge might think differently that you knowing rented to a high risk tenant.  Also, if you look at recidivism rates, their past is a good indicator of their future behavior.

Looking at it purely as an investment?  I can think of a million different ways to run a business that doesn't involve this type of "investment".  I bet if it was your kid one of these sex offenders committed a crime against, you would think differently.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.