• Hartland, MI
Votes |
Buying house for rental, inspection issues - mold

Dale K.
  • Engineer
  • Hartland, MI
Posted Mar 24 2015, 17:06

Hello BP'ers

We're moving towards a first house for rental, under contract, and had an inspection done today.  I would have thought I'd find most issues, but no, it was worth having a good inspector look it over.   Overall the house is close to being turnkey ready to rent as expected, with a few more relatively minor repairs to do than I had thought.   

The inspection showed one more significant issue:     some areas of black fuzzy spotty mold in crawlspace on floor joists, and quite a few areas of white dusty mold.  Nothing upstairs in living spaces, beyond mildew on some not often cleaned vinyl window frames.  There are some sources of moisture to the crawlspace that were known and a couple more I didn't realize at first, but all can be taken care of I estimate:    crawlspace vents maybe always left closed,  condensate drains for furnace and tankless water heater not run to proper drains, just running onto crawl dirt, no gutters on house and grading could be improved on one end of house.   Having the mold remediated should be possible, cleaning and spraying in the crawlspace.

My question;   Anyone have experience with disclosures to tenants of building history for rentals?  Should not be required after issues are resolved?  Unless specifically asked?

Thanks for your insights !

Loading replies...