Amazon now offering home services - looks interesting

11 Replies

I was just about to sign into Amazon and they are introducing a new home service, where you can get guaranteed work done including cleaning, landscaping, handyman, electrical, plumbing, etc.  Haven't read the entire deal yet, but was thinking this might be nice for landlords who want to handle their own management.

https://www.amazon.com/services/

What do you think?

Just like any other home service provider including homeadvisor.com.  Keep in mind these companies typically contract with large contractors and large contractors with 100s of service vehicles cost MONEY.  Great if your in the service providing industry and need new/more clients.  As a landlord/contractor I would never call them for work on my home/rental.  I recently dealt with a plumbing contractor from a large home warranty company and they recommended a repair for $290 which I was able to get done for under $200 and included other work at residence.  They even quoted $500 for a garbage disposal replacement which I get done for about $180.  Your best bet is to use google maps and locate a small ma and pa company in the area or get referrals from other landlords.

Originally posted by @Sue K. :

I was just about to sign into Amazon and they are introducing a new home service, where you can get guaranteed work done

I just wonder how much these contractors will charge.  They have to make up for the guarantees somehow. 

@Rocky V.   @Steve Might Good points.  

I wonder if you'll eventually have a bunch to choose from on this Amazon site.  I liked hiring movers through the U-Haul site the last couple times I moved.  I felt like they had an incentive to keep a good rating on U-Haul, so they'd do a good job, and that was true for me.  They have to work to keep their reviews good.

I personally don't trust Angie's List.  

I do like the idea that Amazon would basically mediate for you.  That might be worth the higher price.  

I love Amazon so I would like to give it a shot but most of the things I looked at seemed crazy expensive. Install a doorknob $160-$210 - Whaaaat?

Just for the heck of it, I submitted a request for them to quote me to replace a bathroom door (which I actually need to get done.) I'll see what they come back with...

And yes, Angie's List is horrible IMHO.

Originally posted by @Corey Demuth :

I love Amazon so I would like to give it a shot but most of the things I looked at seemed crazy expensive. Install a doorknob $160-$210 - Whaaaat?

Just for the heck of it, I submitted a request for them to quote me to replace a bathroom door (which I actually need to get done.) I'll see what they come back with...

Please let us know what happens!  All that was listed in my town was someone to install a wall TV.  I have no idea if it was too expensive or not.  I think it said around $250.  That doesn't sound horrible if they have to also run the wire behind the wall, etc.

Every AL quote I have received has been far too expensive.  I rely on word of mouth and Craig's List. 

Okay update #1. I received 3 estimates very quickly, ranging from $160 to $279 (to replace a bathroom door.) They each included a brief explanation, and you can message back and forth with them. I am following up with each because some were not clear on whether or not I expected them to supply the door (I do.)

I'll probably Take One For The Team and let you guys know how it goes... expect update #2 in a couple days. I am willing to take a chance; that "Happiness Guaranteed" label from Amazon actually means something to me, having dealt with them on product issues in the past.

For reference, how much do you guys think it should cost to get a bathroom door replaced, including the door itself?

Depends a little on the size, but about $90 for a prehung door at Home Depot unpainted.  About $45 for just the door.  Labor varies, but you're looking at a half days work, so whatever that runs in your area.  If you are sending someone to home depot and then to the house to do a small job you can expect to get charged for their time for that stuff over having them onsite doing a big job.

Okay update #1. I received 3 estimates very quickly, ranging from $160 to $279 (to replace a bathroom door.) They each included a brief explanation, and you can message back and forth with them. I am following up with each because some were not clear on whether or not I expected them to supply the door (I do.)

I'll probably Take One For The Team and let you guys know how it goes... expect update #2 in a couple days. I am willing to take a chance; that "Happiness Guaranteed" label from Amazon actually means something to me, having dealt with them on product issues in the past.

For reference, how much do you guys think it should cost to get a bathroom door replaced, including the door itself?

Thanks for the update!  This could be pretty nice.  I hope it's also a good deal for the contractors.  Might be a win-win.  Can't wait to hear what happens next!

Half a days work what? Does it really take that long to replace a bathroom door?

New pre-hung raised panel $86.00 at Lowes. Handyman installs in 20 minutes. Don't need contractors license, don't need building permit !!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.