Time to prepare unit between renters

7 Replies

Do you intentionally leave a periods of vacancy to clean and make repairs between tenants?   

My tenants are leaving May 31 after a year lease.  I have the place advertised for June 1 but am nervous about getting my current tenant out and the place cleaned before the new tenant moves in.  

I always give myself 3 or 4 days to get it cleaned and ready before the next tenant moves in. Since June 1st is a Monday, I would advertise it as being ready on Friday June 5th. Most people move in over the weekend anyway.

good advice.   

Do you not find that folks generally want a lease that starts on the 1st day of the month?

Put a clause in your lease that says if the place is not available, due to no fault of your own, that the lease is cancelled.  That's how my lease read, and this is common.

@John Vietmeyer I have tenants move in at all times of the month. It has never been a problem.

@Sue K. I agree about putting a clause in the lease about voiding it if it is not available through no fault of your own.

Originally posted by Account Closed:

@John Vietmeyer I have tenants move in at all times of the month. It has never been a problem.

@Sue K. I agree about putting a clause in the lease about voiding it if it is not available through no fault of your own.

Same here. i typically prorate if they move in on anything other than the first. This way rent is due on the first going forward.

I usually ask the current tenants if they can move out a few days early. In exchange i pro rate them, and return their security on the day of our final walk thru.

@John Vietmeyer I switched over to using my clause that allows me to do showing after I receive a 30 day move out notice. I pay departing tenant $10 to clean the place before showings and another $100 if we lease their place before they move out.

This incentive works like a charm. It also helps me make repairs before they move out. The departing tenant welcome the intrusion.

My pit crew is ready when they move because I have a 0 vacancy policy.

If you allow yourself down time, you'll surely get it.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.