Lender · California and Florida · Member since 2008 · 319 posts · 194 votes
Curious to know if any landlords in California are monitoring which water and utility districts their rentals are in and carefully watching the drought?
My rentals are all over the map but it's looking like one of my rentals in Eastern Municipal Water District will be asked to cut usage by 35%. The only way to get that kind of savings is outside so I'm hoping to take advantage of the water wise rebates they have going on which have doubled this year.
I have to believe utilities will be pretty strict eventually on this, especially since the water wholesaler is basically saying they are cutting distribution. The daily fines can get pretty ugly.
Has anyone seen a drought addendum that clarifies any and all water-related fines due to broken sprinklers and/or not following utility guidance of lawn and water usage is solely the responsibility of the tenant?
Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
@Aaron Norris seems like the day after Gov. Brown signed, my tenant gets a notice about sprinkler overrun hitting the sidewalk and watering on the wrong day.
I've been phasing in my xeriscaping for a while now. Two reasons really:
1 - to reduce landscaping maintenance expense
2 - to minimize my water bill
I see a market for rain barrels and quick sand filters coming.