Washer/Dryer hookups

14 Replies

We are currently rehabbing a duplex that has no washer/dryer hookups. There are closets near the plumbing that we can use and I got a quote of about $900 to run plumbing and electric.  

We already have the drywall down near the plumbing wall.

Is it really worth it to add this?  My partner thinks it's another possible problem to have them.

These duplex units will go for $525 to $550 per month.

Thoughts?

Kevin

if laundromat aint walking distance i'd probably invest in-unit or a share laundry room on premise.

when laundromat is walking distance i avoid the added maintenance for either washer dryer hookups or providing the machines.

I personally look for apartment that I can add washer/dryer hookups to.  In some areas I can get $75 more per month with them in.  Yes, they add another maintenance item but the income should more than make up for it.

Yes, definitely add them.  Women will love you for it and they also are very influential when it comes to the spouses decision on where to live :)

Tough call at that rent range. I agree with most others. Put them in. Have the best apartments on the block.

How many of the duplexes the area of yours have washers and dryers?  

The $900 should be recouped within a year with higher rents and if you put used appliances in the units you should not be out more than a few hundred for those. 

If the hookups are done with metal braided hoses the chance for a leak at that point  is very unlikely.

If you use a Washing Machine Pan hooked up to a drain under the the WD, even if the machine leaks or over fills, the water will not be a problem and not flood the unit. 

I suggest to do it as it should make the Units much more desirable than units without a W/D. 

My tenants already run up my water bills.  In my duplexes I provide a coin op washer and free dryers. Actually two dryers so both tenants have their own on their own electric bill. The new washer pays for itself and the used dryers I provide. My payback is I don't half to hound the tenants for doing laundry constantly.  Although I still have one tenant who does entirely to much laundry. At least I get 1.50 a load.     

Make the tenants responsible for the water bill.

But, I add my vote to adding the hookups.  I would not include the actual washers and dryers, so you aren't responsible to maintain them.  But people will pay more in rent than the laundromat would cost them, for the convenience of being able to do laundry at home.

I'd include in your 6 month inspections, that you check for leaks from their washers, and maybe include a requirement for renter's insurance that will cover damage caused by their washers/dryers.

But, you can normally command a higher rent for the convenience.

Originally posted by @Sue K. :

Make the tenants responsible for the water bill.

But, I add my vote to adding the hookups.  I would not include the actual washers and dryers, so you aren't responsible to maintain them.  But people will pay more in rent than the laundromat would cost them, for the convenience of being able to do laundry at home.

I'd include in your 6 month inspections, that you check for leaks from their washers/dryers, and maybe include a requirement for renter's insurance that will cover damage caused by their washers/dryers.

But, you can normally command a higher rent for the convenience.

Add them and have them pay the water bill.  Both will pay off over time.

Anybody do coin op washer and dryer? We are considering that for a duplex and I may add also for my four-plex.

Thanks to all.  We are adding W/D hookups next week.  Today I went over to the duplex and demo'ed 2 walls to make space for closet.  Plumber is coming Monday.

Good Choice...having the hook ups will probably keep the tenants stay in your duplex longer. Vacancy hurts...

I just showed my duplex today , it has W/D hook ups , so what question do I get asked?  What kind of washed and dryer do you put in , do I get to choose?     

Originally posted by @Nancy Brook :

Anybody do coin op washer and dryer? We are considering that for a duplex and I may add also for my four-plex.

It's another maintenance item to have coin-op washer/dryers.  You can hire a service, but then you don't get to keep all of the money, and you will still have to deal with them when there are problems.

As a tenant, I hate having to haul my laundry to a community laundry room, whether it's in my building or down the street.  

Even if you have a clause in your lease saying the tenants are not allowed to have washers or dryers in their units, they'll sneak them in.  I'll let you in on a secret - I have one myself and it's against the rules.  It's a tiny thing with a wash tub in one side, and a spinner on the other.

http://www.amazon.com/Panda-Compact-Portable-Washi...

I use double lint socks over the drain hose, and two other mesh screens after the lint socks, to catch all of the lint.  I don't wash much or often, since it's just me.  I don't pay for water but I do pay for my own electricity.  I dry my clothes in my bathroom by hanging them on the shower rod and I blow a fan on them and turn on a heater in there, and turn on the overhead fan.

So, you'll either have maintenance issues from your coin-op washers and dryers, or from tenants sneaking in washers and not catching all the lint and plugging up the drains, or using a bunch of water.

Conclusion: Put in washer/dryer hookups.  Make your tenants pay for water.  Charge top rent because the units have hookups.  If I had hookups, I'd put in a proper washer/dryer.  And I'd be happy to pay for my own water usage.

P.S. Please don't tell my manager on me :-)

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.