Rejecting good applicants

8 Replies

Hi guys - I could use some advice. 

I've got a few rentals that I've been managing myself over the past 3 years, but this is the first time that I've received numerous qualified applications on the same day. Basically, I've got 5 applications for the house I'm renting. I conducted very thorough phone screenings and was very upfront regarding my minimum standards so they all are great candidates.

I realize that this is a nice problem to have, but I am wondering the best way to go about notifying the rejected applicants. They all know that they meet my criteria. 

How do you guys break it to rejected applicants - especially well qualified ones? By phone? email? Do you give them a reason? Do you use a form letter? I've heard of using a standardized form and checking boxes in their areas of deficiency - but in all honesty, the only reason they are being rejected is that the tenant I ended up choosing was is the one that I got along with best.

I want to avoid anger and/or backlash but also want them all to feel like their applications were well reviewed 

@Corey Westermann

Are the applicants bugging you everyday?  They usually move on if they don't hear back.  A simple phone should solve the rejection.  If you are concerned about backlash then they probably were not a good fit.

Also if you were flooded with applicants on the first day you should possibly raise the rent.

Frank

@Frank Romine

Not overly concerned about backlash - everyone seemed nice enough. I think my initial hesitation with a phone call was that I don't have a real good reason to give them as to why they weren't chosen, if they ask.

I always call them back right away and tell them that I had chosen someone else for the rental but only because our policy is the first person who applies and qualifies gets the first chance to take the rental unit. 

However, I tell them, that I have other rentals that they may be interested in and would be glad to show them to them.  If I don't have other rentals available I put them on a waiting list.  And they seem to like that. 

Nancy Neville

I tell them I choose another applicant and leave it at that.  Less information is better.  Let them know there application is on file if anything changes.  

Frank

@Corey Westermann

We have certain properties where we have waiting lists and always receive multiple qualified applicants when a unit comes available.   Of course, we have the other kind of unit as well - where you put out an advertisement only to hear crickets.   It's the location.

In the area where we have the oversupply of qualified applicants we will first try to redirect them to another {soon to be} available unit of ours.  We also maintain good communications with other landlords in the same neighbourhood and will send our overflow to them  [It builds good relations and we have first option on a couple of properties as a result].

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

@Roy N.

I like the idea of sending good applicants to other nearby landlords - do you get the applicants permission prior to forwarding their contact info?

Originally posted by @Corey Westermann :

@Roy N.

I like the idea of sending good applicants to other nearby landlords - do you get the applicants permission prior to forwarding their contact info?

Absolutely!  When we have an overflow, I reach out to the other landlords as ask what they have available.  If the building/unit is up to the calibre of our rentals, I will tell the applicant about it and ask if they wish to be introduced.

I see our business as more of a housing solutions provider and not simply a landlord ... if you search on BP you will find @Al Williamson, myself and others having discussion on ways to add value to our clients (tenants) and increase revenue and good will in the process.

Remember, referrals work in both directions once someone starts.  We relet one of our student houses this spring before we had even advertised it because the landlord across the street sent the candidates in our direction.

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

Originally posted by @Roy N. :

@Corey Westermann

We have certain properties where we have waiting lists and always receive multiple qualified applicants when a unit comes available.   Of course, we have the other kind of unit as well - where you put out an advertisement only to hear crickets.   It's the location.

In the area where we have the oversupply of qualified applicants we will first try to redirect them to another {soon to be} available unit of ours.  We also maintain good communications with other landlords in the same neighbourhood and will send our overflow to them  [It builds good relations and we have first option on a couple of properties as a result].

We refer to other landlords in our area too.  Applicants have been very happy that we take this extra step in assisting them with finding housing.