Corey Westermann
  • West Linn, OR
Votes |
Rejecting good applicants

Corey Westermann
  • West Linn, OR
Posted Apr 28 2015, 09:53

Hi guys - I could use some advice. 

I've got a few rentals that I've been managing myself over the past 3 years, but this is the first time that I've received numerous qualified applications on the same day. Basically, I've got 5 applications for the house I'm renting. I conducted very thorough phone screenings and was very upfront regarding my minimum standards so they all are great candidates.

I realize that this is a nice problem to have, but I am wondering the best way to go about notifying the rejected applicants. They all know that they meet my criteria. 

How do you guys break it to rejected applicants - especially well qualified ones? By phone? email? Do you give them a reason? Do you use a form letter? I've heard of using a standardized form and checking boxes in their areas of deficiency - but in all honesty, the only reason they are being rejected is that the tenant I ended up choosing was is the one that I got along with best.

I want to avoid anger and/or backlash but also want them all to feel like their applications were well reviewed 

Loading replies...