Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kathy Gunderson
  • Hollister, MO
Votes |
Lease Violations

Kathy Gunderson
  • Hollister, MO
Posted Apr 29 2015, 08:01

Newbie here to the forum, but not to real estate or landlord/tenant issues.  I have problem regarding lease violations and maintenance fees - my attorney is not responding to my phone calls ( I know, time for a new attorney).  Hopefully someone here can advise me on this issue.  Sorry in advance that this is long.

Background:  I purchased a lodge type custom home in the Ozarks Mtns (Missouri) on 25 acres of pristine woods - we moved from the west coast to semi-retire.  After 9 months, my husband was offered a position in Las Vegas, NV that we could not pass up.  Because it was the dead of winter and we didn't want to leave the house unoccupied, we found a young couple with 2 small children that desperately wanted to lease the home with an option to buy at the end of the lease (24 months).  They were well established in the area, have good jobs and good credit - their problem was they didn't have the cash for a down payment to purchase.     We leased to this couple with the agreement in the lease that they would perform all maintenance on the property with a reduced rent.  I am in the negative by $400/mo with rent, but was desperate to rent and move west. We figured and discussed with them that they were getting under market rent, that maintenance costs still would not bring them to the market rents - they got a good deal.  We moved and left the home unoccupied for 1-month. At the time, the deck (900 sq ft) needed to be stained and sealed. Not a hard job or even time consuming. This task needs to be done annually or the deck will rot.  I had a contractor set up to come and do the job, however the tenants said they would do this before they moved in and were happy that they could store some of their belonging in the garage before rent actually started. I left the material and supplies so that only their labor was needed.  

The lease also indicated and was agreed to that they would keep the property clear of brush and weeds around the home as it's a major fire hazard in the middle of the woods.  Also, there was a clause that they would allow the working cat to remain on the property and they would care and feed him.  The cat was necessary to control bugs, snakes and rodents.  They were thrilled to have him and not deal with copperhead snakes infesting the outdoor space near the house.  

This past weekend I made a trip to inspect the home and property. It's the first time I have been there in a year.  The property looked abandoned - weeds growing 3 ft high at the security gate and pillars, tree limbs down, driveway lights (3/4 mile driveway) all broken and destroyed due to driving over them.  The deck was not stained and sealed, but the husband attempted to do it on the steps with a product other than what we left for him to use - it was smeared on, gooped up and peeling - a complete mess. The rest of the deck has cracked planks, and screws coming up.   The upstairs bathroom has a leak at the tub drain - a slow but steady drip - the ceiling is ruined and it appears that mold is growing now. 

Ultimately, they have not done any maintenance at all.  I now have quotes and a total of $4,500 in repair costs.

My question is:  Since I agreed to a reduced rent and can't raise it...since they are in default and have 13 months left of their lease, can I legally take the total amount of damages, divide it by 13 months and bill them for maintenance in addition to their rent? Their security deposit doesn't come close to covering the costs.

I know that I can evict them, and need to get a court ordered eviction in Missouri, but I don't know about the maintenance fees - my attorney never addressed this issue in the lease.  It's my fault as I didn't pay attention when he wrote it. I was overwhelmed with moving twice across the country in less than a year.  

Any advise or opinion is appreciated.

Loading replies...