• Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Applicant admits to bed bugs

Susan M.
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Posted May 6 2015, 05:42

I encountered a first for me last night.  Met a nice applicant.  She asked me at the end of our discussion "do you automatically disqualify if I've been treated for bed bugs?".  I asked her to elaborate and she told me that a lot of apartment complexes are automatically disqualifying applicants if they've been living somewhere treated for bed bugs within the last 18 months.  I didn't know what to say to her since I've not even thought of this, and have no experience with it.

This is one of those "rules" that's only as good as your applicant is honest.  I would have no idea she has dealt with bed bugs had she not told me, and there would be no way for me to find out either.

My question is, would you rent to her if she were otherwise qualified?  She said she hasn't seen a bed bug in her place since December.  She lives in a large complex.  I have no idea if she is responsible for bringing the bugs in or if it was just because of the large complex she lives in.  And since I've never thought of this before, any one of my tenants could be bringing bed bugs in with them and I wouldn't have any knowledge of it.  If she hadn't been up front with  me I never would have known about it, so I wouldn't use it against her.  And I don't know if I should now.  If I rent to her I plan to have her sign an addendum stating she was treated for bed bugs on <date> and that my place does not have them and if they are discovered after she moves in she is responsible for paying, but I don't even know how legal that is or if I could enforce it.

Any thoughts?  When I contact her current landlord for a reference I plan to ask about the bed bug situation and ask if it was a "building wide" event or specific to her but I have no idea if they'll answer that question or if it even matters.

Just looking for some opinions or suggestions here since this is a new one for me.

Thanks!

Loading replies...