Do you set any of your bills to auto-pay?

Do you set any of your bills to auto-pay?

Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes

I've heard pros and cons to setting bills to auto-pay.  Pros include saving time and stamps, not having to worry about forgetting to pay it, etc.  Cons include having trouble getting them to undo the auto-pay set up (maybe that's only with private companies?), running into trouble when you change an account or something else changes, etc.

So I'm curious what fellow landlords do.  We own our house plus 4 rentals, so I pay a lot of bills.  Do you set up all bills to auto-pay if possible?  Only certain types of bills?  Why/why not?

0Reply
24 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Leominster, MA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 589 votes
    11y

    I do as much as possible. @Kimberly T.  To give you an example, National Grid is the utility provider for electric and natural gas. I have 11 accounts with them. Thats a lot of checks. If I cant set up a bill for auto pay I use my local banks online banking feature. I probably only write 2-3 actual checks per month with 25 rental units. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    My personal choice is to go with Auto-pay. Makes absolute sense for Utilities and  Mortgage payments.  Personally, I don't prefer auto debit but schedule automatic bill payment through Bank. This way i have control to make changes or cancel any payments, if needed. Having direct debit through bank accounts or charge to credit cards, takes longer,  if any cancellation or changes required. 

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    i am shocked that someone in 2015 that's a landlord would NOT use auto pay. i pay by check only contractors and i hate even that. 

  • Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
    11y

    Thanks guys!  Just wanted to see if maybe there were some cons to doing auto-pay that I wasn't aware of.  I do have some bills set to auto-pay, just not all of them.

    @George P. LOL, well I'm a pretty old-fashioned type.  Which you probably wouldn't guess, since I just turned 31 recently. :)

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 167 posts · 146 votes
    11y

    @Kimberly T.

     I manage our finances for our rental and my husband does for our personal. For the rental I have auto pay for everything except contractor and repairs. For the personal my husband does not use checks but he pays through bill pay from online bank but he has to initiate the payment. He does this as he feels he has better control this way.

    You could try the second option if you are not comfortable doing auto pay for everything.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.