• Real Estate Agent
  • Muscatine, IA
Votes |
Tenant question

Luke Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Muscatine, IA
Posted Jun 7 2015, 18:57

Hello, I have an issue with a tenant, and I am new to managing properties, so I could use a little advice.  I recently rented a newly rehabbed home in a nice area here in Iowa for $1400/mo.  The house is in nice shape, all the bells and whistles, new floors, ect.  Two days after moving in, a new shower we had installed started to leak into the basement.  I apologized and promptly called the contractor who came and fixed the problem within 3 days.  Next, the brand new fridge began to malfunction, the service tech appointed by the company (Frigidaire) said it could be up to a month before the part came in, so I bought a new fridge and had it installed immediately.  The tenant then began to complain about the amount of dust in the air, and said his daughter was having issues with the sawdust in the air (we refinished the hardwoods).  I had a company come out and professionally clean the duct work ($340, and the company told me that the ducts were clean).  Five days later he told me that he could smell Co2 (although its odorless) in the house, and that the dryer exhaust was improperly installed (it wasn't).  Now, I am going on call number two for an older AC unit that has already been inspected.  He is claiming that the AC will not cool the house lower than 77 degrees.  My HVAC guy is going over there again tomorrow, and will most likely find no issue with the unit.  I have had about a dozen complaints from this tenant in the first three months of his tenancy.  How would you address this with him? 

Loading replies...