Would you rent to this tenant?

8 Replies

Hi

I'm new to BP.  I have a question regarding a rental applicant who has moved from Korea to here recently so has very little credit history and has only a relative for rental history and is self-employed.  A relative has agreed to co-sign.  Would you process the co-signer in the same way as if they would be renting the place?

Thanks

Hi I just moved from south Korea as well.

What were they doing in south Korea?

I was an English teacher who had built up a good amount of savings.

if you want to rent to them but are unsure get a bigger deposit.

I don't make co-signers fill out the full application typically, but I make them sign the credit / criminal check authorization and still run them. 

yes process the same way

Look at there history etc

Yes, but I would make the relative a "personal guarantor" not a co-signer.  A co-signer would have the right to occupy the place, and I am assuming you don't want that, you just want a second person to chase in case this guy doesn't pay.

Ask for more deposit and also have the co-signer as a personal guarantor.

Be careful before you charge more as a deposit. My state has a limit that the deposit can only be equal to one months rent. 

Originally posted by @John Van Uytven:

if you want to rent to them but are unsure get a bigger deposit.

This is solid advice. As long as the co-singer is good for it I don't see any reason not to rent.

Thank you everyone for all your input!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here