Splitting utilities with Tenant

4 Replies

I just bought a 3 bed 2 bath house with a pool. I will be living in the house and renting out the other two bedrooms. One potential tenant is already asking about putting something in the lease for splitting the cable bill and utility charges. This is what I have in the lease for utilities. "Tenant will pay all utility charges, except for the following, which will be paid by Landlord: ______." Does this mean that by renting the space, the tenant is solely resposible for the utilities? or is it the landlords duty to have tenants help pay?

Can this be used as an alternative? "Landlord and tenant will pay all utility charges, except for the following, which will be paid by Landlord: ______."

Would this work better: "Tenant will be responsible for paying utility, cable, and internet charges split evenly between all occupants of the premises. The following will be paid by Landlord:_____."

make life easier , pick a number that includes utilities .  Make it so you are covered . Roomate rent xxx dollars utilities included .  Some months you will come out ahead some you wont but it should even out in a year . 

Why ?   When its just you and 1 tenant , the tenant is paying 50% , when there is another tenant its 33% .  The utilities dont change much with 1 additional person.

I'd recommend using a lease rider, and setting up exactly who pays what. 

"Landlord pays xyz for abc service, tenant James Smith, pays xyz per month for abc service..." etc - spell it out so everyone knows exactly who is responsible for what, and there are no questions at move out, or move in for a new tenant. You may want to use fractions rather than dollar amounts, since dollar amounts pay fluctuate, but 1/3 of the electric bill will always be 1/3 of the electric bill.