SmartMove anomaly ...

16 Replies

Shouldn't the cost of doing a check on an prospective tenant, be listed *somewhere* on the SmartMove website??  I'm logged in as a landlord, but I can't find a number anywhere... 

Interestingly, even the 'Pricing and Payment FAQs', under the topic 'How much does SmartMove cost?' does not answer this question!!  

@daniel miller the charge is $30 per applicant last time I checked.

$35 for credit and criminal

Okay, cool... 

so where is that shown???  or do I just need to submit an application and wait for the number to pop up somewhere??

I just had a tenant do one and it is $35 for credit & criminal check. 

PS: Someone not wanting to pay the fee is a good tenant screening tool. 

I just checked their website, and if you click on the Landlord tab it takes you to page that clearly lists the costs and what is included. Btw, I have used this credit check several times in the past without any issues.

Originally posted by @Silvia B. :

I just checked their website, and if you click on the Landlord tab it takes you to page that clearly lists the costs and what is included. Btw, I have used this credit check several times in the past without any issues.

Really??  I just went to Landlord Dashboard, logged in as myself, and looked at all 5 tabs, I don't see costs listed anywhere... ???

However, I used this service the last time I rented out this house, and was quite happy with them, worked very well, and very easy to use!!

Don't log in. Go to the home page for Mysmartmove.com. At the top of the page are tabs for landlord, renter, resources, etc. Click on the Landlord tab and it will give you the info. I think once you log in, they assume you have already read all of their info on how the credit process works. Be sure to try it from their Home Page before you log in.

Ha!!!!  Yep, now I see it... who'da thunk that key data *wouldn't* be available once I logged in ?!?!?  Thanks for the cues, @Silvia B. !!

I've used Smartmove before @$30/application. Today if I have the "landlord"option check, it says $70 to get a full report and not $30. When I check "Renter," which I plan to do, any info goes away, so I don't really know what the renter is paying. I've been telling all applicants it's $30, because that's what it's been. Is it now $70? BTW--I am using the service through BP. Thx!

Hi @Brian Kraft I'm a representative with TransUnion SmartMove. If you send me a note through BiggerPockets with a good phone number to contact you at I will call you directly to help with this application. Thanks!

Originally posted by @Andrea Collatz :

Hi @Brian Kraft I'm a representative with TransUnion SmartMove. If you send me a note through BiggerPockets with a good phone number to contact you at I will call you directly to help with this application. Thanks!

Soooo how much is it to run a check now... The site clearly does not like explicitly telling anyone how much it costs...

Glad I found this thread! I just signed up for SmartMove and had the same exact question. My husband and I have 1 rental property and are hoping this will be a useful tool for tenant screening. We plan to have the tenant pay but deduct from their 1st month's rent if they become a tenant. good idea? bad idea?

We include our tenant screening/credit report fee as a part of the application fee.

We charge $45 for application which is received WITH their application in order to be considered.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.