• Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Tenant not paying utilities - Colorado

Seth Todd
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Jul 14 2015, 17:16

Long story short, I purchased a condo about a month ago in Lakewood, CO and there were already tenants in there. They have a lease through February of next year. Just got a call last week that they are now having a bed bug issue (not surprised after visiting the unit and seeing how filthy everything is). I also found out that in the 2 bedroom unit there is another couple with a baby that has been staying there for a while now. The original lease just lists the tenant and her boyfriend. Now it looks like there are 5-6 people living in the unit. Just received a call yesterday that the washer is now broken ( I'm thinking that with an extra 3-4 people using it, of course it would break faster.)

I called to get an exterminator out there at a cost of $900. From research, I believe that Colorado does not have laws to say exactly who is responsible for bed bug issues. Now I just received another call form her "friend" that is asking if he and his girlfriend can move in there and be put on the lease as well. Apparently, the couple with the baby are moving out later this month. (I was going to give a notice to cure anyway for that issue). The reason the friend wants to move in is to help pay the utilities since, I just found out, the tenant has not been paying and the utilities are now set to be shut off tomorrow. The power company will not let the friend pay since he is not on the lease. 

By this point, I am planning on evicting and have been researching exactly how to go about that process. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Loading replies...