Interior paint colors?!?

10 Replies

What are others using for interior paint colors for their rentals.

I've mostly done just white, but I'd like some feedback of what others do.

Are there certain rooms that always get some type of color?

Are there certain rooms that are always white?

What colors do you use when it's something other than white?

this is an easy one... i did that for awhile where we painted all one color. it was not white, but close to it.

it was a H U G E mistake. the houses took longer to rent and they all looked like an apartment, no mattter how nice they were updated.

i STRONGLY urge you to do 2 tone pain scheme. Paint name Realist Beige (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6078/#/6078/?s=products&p=PS0) is what we use, courtesy of J Scott. we have gotten and continue to get TONS of compliments on the paint. tons!!

so, you want your rentals to look modern? get 2 tone paint - walls and everything else white!!

i cant' stress that enough.

double post..

Sherwin is a great paint. I'm sold on it for interior and exterior after using it in my rentals.

Pictures of 2 tone paint from others would be nice to see - anyone sharing? :)

I painted and walked away so I have no pictures. :\

@George P.

Thanks, you just chose my next paint color. That really looks good. I always have a friend choose the color. I just can't make up my mind although I'm getting better. It's like picking out tile...too many choices.

I just finished having my first rental remodeled and am about to sign my first lease ever with a tenant so this comment isn't coming from someone with experience but I had white trim and ceilings with a lighter gray for the walls. It looks really good and I actually had two separate couples comment on it when they were walking through. One of them even said she likes how there are two colors. 

Originally posted by @Daria B. :

@George P.

Thanks, you just chose my next paint color. That really looks good. I always have a friend choose the color. I just can't make up my mind although I'm getting better. It's like picking out tile...too many choices.

this is how ours currently look..

this is how they used to look

@George P.

you said "get 2 tone paint - walls and everything else white!!"

Does this mean only the trim has color, and everything else (walls and ceilings) are white?

2 tone for every room?

@Tim Coppola

@George P.

2-tone definitely makes a difference. I'll be following this from now on. Only one of my rentals I used a different color wall scheme other than white because the trim is natural wood and a little darker than most so I was trying to lighten it up.

Congrats on your 1st @Tim Coppolait's an exciting feeling.

typically we use a product from Sherwin Williams called Chicago Builders Flat for ceilings, it has great hiding and is a dead flat so is easy to touch up. We use Sherwin Williams PM200 Semi gloss on trim in white with a shot of black for increased coverage and for walls we use Sherwin Williams PM200 Flat in Navaho White. Good color contrast but not so severe that any rough transitions from wall to ceiling are accentuated to much.

Two-tone here as well. A neutral, light beige or light grey, depending on the flooring, house type, and kitchen cabinets, and a white (not ultra-white, but white) semi-gloss on trim. The color sets the trim tone off well and is acceptable to most people. 

It is impossible to please everyone with paint. I think the aim has to be to offend the least people  :D