Megan's Law Question

9 Replies

My state recently started requiring the inclusion of a "Megan's Law" disclosure statement alerting prospective tenants that it is up to them to do a search for sexual predators in their neighborhoods and pointing them to where they can do said search. I typed up the disclosure statement to attach to my lease, and out of curiosity did my own search.  I was surprised to find that their is a person registered as a sexual offender about a block away from the home I am currently leasing.  He was charged with "sexual battery" against a minor; from the description and photo he is a scary looking guy--350 pounds!  To make matters worse he apparently works from his home which means he is home all day long.  Another of my houses has one right across the street!  This one was charged with "sexual battery" and "forcible sodomy" against a minor.  To be fair, I did a search of my own home, and while there aren't any living too close by, there are three that work a block away.  I imagine this will have an impact on my ability to rent these homes.  Have you all had a similar experience?  Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

I did the search before because a friend of mine has 3 little girls 1 boy and she often works late, yet not keen on getting a sitter. It was very alarming how many of them were in her zip code. Most were averaging at 6'2'' 225lbs and I found a good dozen of them that were registered. No telling how many that weren't. Unfortunately just like its up to citizens to check its up to the offenders to register themselves. This is a fact that we all have to deal with, however I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it in regards to your business model. It really doesn't matter how nice(high ARV) the neighborhood is, sexual offenders are near. Follow the law and add it at the bottom of the application or include a separate document with the disclosure on there. My guess is everyone knows its a possibility no matter where they live. I doubt it will be detrimental to your business because you disclose it. It actually is an eye opener for everyone to be more vigilant whether they have kids or not, imo.

Kudos,

Mary

Just a heads up, I just read that criminal illegal aliens convicted of felonies including sexual assaults are not being registered nor tracked by law enforcement. Be careful.

I think your will recognize John Walsh..

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/15/john-walsh-exposes-illegal-immigrants-not-on-sex-offender-registry/

That is one of the things I check before buying a property. Of course, somebody who is on the list could move in close by afterward, so there is no guarantee unless you buy close to a school (they are restricted from living too close to schools).

Originally posted by @Tom Kelly :

Just a heads up, I just read that criminal illegal aliens convicted of felonies including sexual assaults are not being registered nor tracked by law enforcement. Be careful.

No surprise there since undocumented illegals have all sorts of pasts. I do think Megan's Law should be upgraded to be require supervised registration possibly by their p.o. That could cut down somewhat on the lack of registration, domestically anyway.

Kudos,
Mary

@Tamara R.

Whenever I'm purchasing a new property the first thing I do is check the sex offender site.  In my area they seem to "congregate" in certain neighborhoods.  If any are in the neighborhood, I pass on the property and keep looking.  Now, my own home has a sex offender living next door to me according to the state police website.  But, he doesn't live there.  Not sure how that happens....

Is this necessary? It is up to tenants to research an area before they move in. As an agent, when asked about crime or sexual offenders, I refer them to the LE websites so they can do their research. 

Thanks for the input all. The house I am referring to is in a good neighborhood with the most highly coveted elementary school in the county it is located in .Lots of kids in this neighborhood and lots of families. Although I was aware of each state having a list of offenders, I didn’t think to look at it when making my purchase. My issue with the disclosure it that it appear I have to give them something separate from the lease and have them sign it separately—doing so feels like I am almost waving a big flag saying “check for sex offenders!” It would be better if I could bury it somewhere in the lease so at least it isn’t as apparent. . . .