• Investor
  • Poulsbo, WA
Votes |
Replacing refrigerator issues

Richard Slade
  • Investor
  • Poulsbo, WA
Posted Jul 26 2015, 11:11

I have a rental which used to be my primary that tenants have been renting for 16 months on a 24 month lease..  The fridge has broken and I replaced it the next day with a full size working standard 19 ft fridge/freezer.. The previous fridge that broke was much nicer no question but it was my primary residence at the time.  

Question I have is this a slumlordy thing to do?  My tenants are pretty upset and are demanding I replace with a equal caliber fridge to the old one.. Problem is the replacement fridge I gave them works just fine and is full size bought on Craigslist for 200$.. No it isn't stainless steel, no it doesn't have a water dispenser in front door, yes it is slightly smaller than the old one, but it is in my mind a perfectly acceptable working fridge for a family of 4..  And I had it replaced the next day.. An equal cost replacement brand new is going to be like 2000$.. Are my tenants being too picky or is it my responsibility to replace an appliance with an equal one that was there at time lease was signed?  

Loading replies...