Inherited Tenant Welcome Package

7 Replies

I will be closing on a 3 family shortly. All tenants are at will. I am located in Massachusetts. I will have a welcome package to introduce myself including:

1. Welcome letter

2. At-Will agreement with rent amount, due date, where to send, etc

3. pet addendum, so they won't have any more pets, etc

4. property "rules" - how to request repair, what is not allowed, etc

5. Gift card to local pizza business

Question: Do I need to give and have them sign a lead disclosure as the new landlord? Technically they should have already received that when they moved in from the previous owner. Do I need to re-issue since it's a change of owner?

Originally posted by @Robert P. :

I will be closing on a 3 family shortly. All tenants are at will. I am located in Massachusetts. I will have a welcome package to introduce myself including:

1. Welcome letter

Question: Do I need to give and have them sign a lead disclosure as the new landlord? Technically they should have already received that when they moved in from the previous owner. Do I need to re-issue since it's a change of owner?

Did the seller provide you with a copy of the lead disclosure?  If not, I would have a new one signed just in case

Medium second city real estate logo   white close upBrie Schmidt, Second City Real Estate | [email protected] | http://www.SecondCity-RE.com | IL Agent # 471.018287, WI Agent # 57846-90 | Podcast Guest on Show #132

Here is what we give to our new tenants:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

New Property Manager Notice

Dear tenants,

The owners of your building have contracted with _________________ to manage this property. Any questions or communication need to be through __________. We will be handling your maintenance calls and accepting your rent payments for the owner(s) effective, IMMEDIATELY.

CALL or EMAIL US TO UPDATE YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION

New Features and Requirements:

Payment Options

Once we have your email address we will set up your online tenant portal

Automatic Electronic Funds Transfer (set up in your online tenant portal)

Personal Checks are accepted online only at _____________ (online tenant portal)

Money Orders can be put in the drop box or mailed

WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH

Rent Payments:

Rent is due on the 1st of each month and late after _________ of the month. Late fees are ______________ and will be assessed to your account on the ____. Accounts unpaid by the ___ will be subject to eviction procedures and additional late fees.

Pay Rent to: "_____________"

Maintenance Requests: All service requests, except emergencies, need to be made in writing. This can be done by through your online tenant portal, by email, or on paper and dropped in the drop box at our office. Emergency number is _____________

Please contact us with any questions or concerns. We look forward to serving you!

Thank you,    

Also, we try and get new tenants to sign a new lease with us if possible. That way we know what the agreement is, instead of using an unfamiliar lease agreement.

Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt :
Originally posted by @Robert P.:

1. Welcome letter

Did the seller provide you with a copy of the lead disclosure?  If not, I would have a new one signed just in case

Yes but it's general for purchasing the home. I don't have any tenant signed copies

Originally posted by @Tyson Luthy :

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

Dear tenants,

The owners of your building have contracted with _________________ to manage this property. Any questions or communication need to be through __________. We will be handling your maintenance calls and accepting your rent payments for the owner(s) effective, IMMEDIATELY.

Payment Options

Personal Checks are accepted online only at _____________ (online tenant portal)

WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH

Rent Payments:

Rent is due on the 1st of each month and late after _________ of the month. Late fees are ______________ and will be assessed to your account on the ____. Accounts unpaid by the ___ will be subject to eviction procedures and additional late fees.

Maintenance Requests: All service requests, except emergencies, need to be made in writing. This can be done by through your online tenant portal, by email, or on paper and dropped in the drop box at our office. Emergency number is _____________

Please contact us with any questions or concerns. We look forward to serving you!

Thank you,    

Also, we try and get new tenants to sign a new lease with us if possible. That way we know what the agreement is, instead of using an unfamiliar lease agreement.

Thanks for this. But this has nothing to do with the lead disclosure question I asked!

Originally posted by @Robert P. :
Originally posted by @Tyson Luthy:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

Dear tenants,

Payment Options

WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH

Rent Payments:

Thank you,    

Thanks for this. But this has nothing to do with the lead disclosure question I asked!

Oops, my bad! Didn't notice your question at the very bottom lol

Hi Robert

I am in Massachusetts in the south shore area I am an investor/Broker and as an Agent I do recommend issuing a new lead disclosure sheet. It will protect you by Massachusetts housing laws. I do have one if you would like me to email you one. We use them all the time when I am working with buyers/sellers.

In Michigan, we have to have them sign the lead disclosure and give them the EPA brochure- I have a separate page for it at the end of my lease, some landlords have a clause in the lease about it.  If you don't get a signed notice from the sellers (either now or at closing) and it is required in your state, include it in the packet.

It's nice that you are including a gift card, I haven't done that.

Kelly