Renting to the Italian Mob!

15 Replies

After listing a 1BR apartment in the Chicago suburbs, I ended up showing the property to a woman and her daughter who said they were originally from Chicago but have been living in Italy for the last 25yrs.  They seemed very nice, asked lots of questions, and even added me as a friend on FB (which was a little odd).  After a few days more questions started to arise; the woman was going to have her dad move in at some point, they were going to be gone for some months, and they wanted to send payments from an account in Italy.

They were also adamant about not providing social security numbers on the application.  I talked to the woman's dad who was going to move in, and he sounded like he was straight out of the Sopranos.  "We're going to pay you rent, and you don't ask any questions" was one comment.

I started doing internet searches on the family name, and sure enough made the connection.  They were part of an Italian Mob family out of Kenosha.  I found lots of news articles that linked the older man with mafiosos that have been arrested or murdered!  Sure there were plenty of red flags to begin with, but I definitely didn't expect this.

Wow. Only in Chicago. haha. Well at least you know that they are good for the money. Now renting to them might be a pain though. If you take too long to fix the toilet, you could get a visit from an enforcer. That would be a sight to see. 

I am assuming you are passing on them. If not let me know how it goes.

Only if they make you an offer you can't refuse....

Never rented TO the Mafia, but certainly rented a 13,000sqft facility from "them" when I ran my computer software training business in New Haven, CT... No matter the month, good or bad, the owner got paid first!  My CFO (aka, my dad) has an aversion to cement shoes.  :-)  Honestly, he was the nicest guy, got permits pushed thru and even got a few "issues" overlooked to get my CO in a timely manner!  

Come to think of it, I may have to pay him a visit in Danbury Federal Prison next time I am in CT.

Well, at least the crime rate in your area will go down. I went to college in River Forest and several of the top guys in Chicago had homes in the area. Nobody wanted to mess with their neighborhood.

@Nnabuenyi Anigbogu You are correct, I am passing on them.  But part of me wants to "see what will happen" :)

@Fred Heller

I lived in Oak Park for about 10 years and i used to bike through North Riverside which i later found out was a heavy Mob area. The houses there are quite nice. I did not know however that River Forest was a mob area too although it makes perfect sense now that i think about it.

@Igor S.

It is very tempting to see what will happen allright. I almost want to tell them to come rent fro me in the city. It might reduce the crime rate in the area. 

Actually this sounds funny because you would think they have enough money to buy whatever they want so why would they rent? However this does remind me of one time I did an electrical job to rewire an entire house for a mafioso and he told me I better hurry to get the job done otherwise he would have to get tough with me. I knew what he meant because the next day these two 300 pound guys showed up asking me why I was giving the old man a hard time. They also told me to hurry up and get the job done or else, while pulling two baseball bats out of the trunk of their car. Come to think of it the old man stiffed me for $200 bucks at the end of the job guess I was lucky I didn't get my legs broken. :)

That job usually took me 9 days to complete. I got done in 5 and " forgota bout" asking for the $200.00 bucks yet unpaid. 

Originally posted by @Gilbert Dominguez :

Actually this sounds funny because you would think they have enough money to buy whatever they want so why would they rent? However this does remind me of one time I did an electrical job to rewire an entire house for a mafioso and he told me I better hurry to get the job done otherwise he would have to get tough with me. I knew what he meant because the next day these two 300 pound guys showed up asking me why I was giving the old man a hard time. They also told me to hurry up and get the job done or else, while pulling two baseball bats out of the trunk of their car. Come to think of it the old man stiffed me for $200 bucks at the end of the job guess I was lucky I didn't get my legs broken. :)

That job usually took me 9 days to complete. I got done in 5 and " forgota bout" asking for the $200.00 bucks yet unpaid. 

What, big guys can't play a game of pick up baseball?

Originally posted by @Igor S. :

@Nnabuenyi Anigbogu You are correct, I am passing on them.  But part of me wants to "see what will happen" :)

Not worth it, better to watch on TV than in your own life.

Have you ever thought about petting a 120 pound pit bull just to see what would happen?

I don't think you really want to know. To this day I will drive an extra 1/2 mile just to avoid that guy's house. There are human beings and animals that look exactly like human beings and with those guys you will never know until its too late. 

I live in Oak Park, IL, so I am next door to both Cicero and River Forest, both of which have an alleged history of the mob.  The only organized crime  issue I can recall as looking at a single-family home being sold by a woman whose husband I was told was a big shot in a Columbian drug ring who was serving time in jail.  She was the nicest woman whose house was so filled with religious pictures it reminded me of the Vatican.  The house would have been a real good deal, but this isn't something I wanted to deal with.

I have to say this thread has made my afternoon.  It reminds me of a home I wanted in I think Olympia Fields which a South Suburb, that came equipped with red "grow lighting" in the main bath, and mirrors at every corner so you could literally watch your back from any place in the home.  There were also holes in odd locations in the walls and floors all over the place.  It was a good deal but the idea of having to always wonder who was coming by late at night made us pass.  

I bet they will always pay on time. Probably be great tenants.

I grew up in Brooklyn. Enough said!

Hahaha @Igor S. - this is great! :) Good decision to pass on renting to them. Now... watch your back! 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here