Do I need sewer back-up protection if the property doesn't have a basement?

7 Replies

Hello! I am just looking into insurance on my new rental property. It does not have a basement and the lower level is 3-4 feet above grade. Can the sewer still back-up into this kind of property? The cost is low, but I don't want to get it if I won't ever need it.

It would have to be one hell of a clog to back up that far, but it is possible. 

I think the intention is to protect from damage if the city's sewer system backs-up into your house during a rainstorm. I would guess that would only affect a basement but I'm not sure. 

Is this a common issue where you live? I've never heard if it before.

I always lean toward less insurance for this type of thing. The insurance company only makes money if they pay out less than what they get in (obvious I know), but my point is what if you took the money you'd pay them and put it into your next deal or an interest bearing investment? You could be your own insurance so to speak.

I also shoot for pretty high deductible insurance as well (currently $5000 on my triplex), I'd actually go higher, but I'm not financially able to take a $10k hit out of pocket yet.

All the best,

Hi @Michael Brown you look eerily like my brother! Yes it is common here as people's basements frequently flood during rainstorms. I just think it is probably not necessary if there is no basement and my lowest unit is 3-4 feet off the ground. I'd like to know from someone who knows for sure though.

Hi @Michael Brown you look eerily like my brother! Yes it is common here as basements frequently flood during rainstorms. I just think it is probably not necessary if there is no basement and my lowest unit is 3-4 feet off the ground. I'd like to know from someone who knows for sure though.

Good point about deductibles. Mine is now at $1000. I may look to increase it if it makes financial sense. 

It can't imagine it making any sense in your case, it's for basements/below grade rooms, although I am sure there are always exceptions. As your insurer for a CLUE report on the house which will tell you all claims in past 5 or 7 yrs.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.