AC/Furnace Filter preferences

AC/Furnace Filter preferences

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

As you accumulate more properties, you end up with central AC units of all sizes and ages.

Many of these require odd size filters you can't buy at the big box stores, so what do you do?  Do you:

(A) Mail order dozens of custom size disposable filters?

(B) Mail order custom size permanent washable filters?

(C) Buy those adjustable plastic grids from the big box stores and cut them to size and insert those green filter into them?  The adjustable plastic ones don't look like they would last too long...

(D) Buy one size smaller and tape it to a wood stick or whatever to make up the difference...

(E) Find a way to build a wood or foam box around the inlet and install a "common size" grille...

(F) Go "COMMANDO", don't use anything LOL - which is essentially the same thing if you make your tenant be responsible for that.

0Reply
17 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    If I had non-standard sizes, I would buy or make some number of reusable filters - maybe 6 or 12 - deliver them to the tenant, tell them to change them once per month and set the dirty filter aside, and I would collect them on a regular basis and clean them/have them cleaned, rinse and repeat. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    11y

    I have never had much luck relying on tenants to change filters.  They say they do then they don't.  Even the great tenants who are always on time don't change them or if they did it's when you remind them the third time after 3 months...

    I would give them 12 filters and at the end of the lease there are still 11 new filters and the original one completely disintegrated and become "mush" on the coil above it.

    So now I always change it every 30-45 days myself, and use it as a way to do a quick inspection of the property.

    But too many odd size filters for each property or each individual unit is a real pain.

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Here in Vegas we make it a must to change filters monthly and have it in the lease tenants  will be charged service call plus repairs if a breakdown is because of dirty filters 

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Here in Vegas we make it a must to change filters monthly and have it in the lease tenants  will be charged service call plus repairs if a breakdown is because of dirty filters 

    I am curious how you knew if they changed the filter monthly?  Do you go by there physically every month to pull out the filter and see if it's new?  If so it is the same level of effort as changing it yourself.

    As for charging service call plus repairs, again, I don't know how you can conclusively deduct that a system breaks down exclusively due to dirty filters.  I suspect enforcing it would be an issue.

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Deterrent is the biggest factor for compliance.It is pretty easy when an ac man comes by and the filter is so clogged with crap that you know it wasn t changed in a few months

    @Sam Leon 

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    Fortunately I only have one house with a size filter I can't buy at a hardware store. I order them online for that house.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.