Roach infestation

12 Replies

Hi BP,

Can anyone recommend a good product to eliminate or kill roaches. I know boric acid is one that can kill the roaches.

Thank you kindly

If it's an infestation get a professional. They will have to do multiple treatments probably. Can't say it enough but cleaning will help to get the problem under control. Paper, clutter, trash attracts bugs. Fog, boric acid or that combat gel around all the base boards, treat perimeter.

@Meng W.

I was going to recommend Suspend SC followed up with roach bait.  However, Suspend is not sold in your state, probably due to state law.

The absolute best roach bait is Maxforce FC Magnum.  With properly cleanliness and proper use of this product, you will make a huge dent in the infestation.  Here is the link:

Maxforce

Building perimeter spraying and interior spraying with a long residual is best when used with this bait.  However, I did not find one yet that can be sold in your state.

@Tonya Carraway and @David S.

thank you guys. I will see if that helps. From what I've found out it's not that many roaches in the apt, my tenant was j just over reacting

This post has been removed.

If the property is occupied i would suggest hiring a professional. If the tenant is already over reacting i wouldn't give them any other reasons to over react.  Its a liability and illegal to spray yourself.

Originally posted by @Meng W. :

@Tonya Carraway and @David S.

thank you guys. I will see if that helps. From what I've found out it's not that many roaches in the apt, my tenant was j just over reacting

Its not the roaches you see its the ones you dont see .   Call a professional take care of the problem before it gets worse

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :
Originally posted by @Meng W.:

@Tonya Carrawayand @David S.

Its not the roaches you see its the ones you dont see .   Call a professional take care of the problem before it gets worse

Exactly. You might not know how bad the problem is because for every one you see there are a hundred you don't see and half of them are pregnant with other ones. 

For me, i just sprayed like two can around the house, setup multiple trap, then heavily fog (bomb) the house 3 times both in the house and up in the arctic. i'm talking about 2 can of fog for each room. The thing with roaches is that you can't kill the egg, so u have to want for it to hatch then kill again.

When my tenant left, they leave a mess behind. of course they are not getting any deposit money back

I hope it's better than the picture in my house below haha

German roaches typically do not respond to sprays or bombs.  The ones in the pic above are likely German due to size.  It is not illegal to spray or bomb yourself (at least in my state) but it is illegal to use professional grade stuff without a license.

My rental was infested and we used Maxfield and it worked great.  After treatment to get rid of the roach smell, wipe down every surface in the house including walls, ceilings, drawers, floors, back of stove, inside stove, etc.  Then caulk every crack you see along cabinets, baseboard, pipes, etc.  Try Febreeze spray and oil air fresheners, and get the kind you can spray into the air intake if you have central air.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GESOI6?psc=1&...

Call in the professionals if it is an infestation. You can kill the adult roaches with spray but you can't kill their eggs. Roach eggs were the only thing that survived the Hiroshima blast! They withstood 8000 degrees! Have them come out and spray and then as soon as the eggs hatch have them back out.

If you want to do it yourself, get "Black Hit" cockroach killer spray or "Maxforce Impact Roach Bait" for cockroach extermination. These products are best for cockroach pest control. If you are willing to spend a little more and want complete cockroach extermination than you can call a professional cockroach exterminator for treatment.

Hire a professional company that attacks it with 4 different methods. Not one that treats it just one way, and then has to come back every few months to treat again once new eggs hatch.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.