Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Lisa A.
  • Sawyer, MI
Votes |
Are these lease terms legal and/or enforceable?

Lisa A.
  • Sawyer, MI
Posted Aug 10 2015, 13:16

I have a question if two parts of a lease in Michigan are valid, legal, and or enforceable, and what to do if they are not.

The first one:

"The renter agrees to vacate the house within three days after being notified in writing due to breach of this agreement."

That looks like the landlord expects the person to move out without being given a chance to remedy the situation, or for the landlord to follow eviction procedures. 

The second one:

"The renter gives the owner, in addition to the lien given by law a lien on all property situated on the premises, including all furniture and household furnishing, whether property is exempt for execution or not, for the rent agreed to be paid, for any damage caused by renter, and for court costs and attorneys fees incurred under the terms hereof."

A lien on my property? Sounds very shady.

This seems even more bizarre. According to http://www.legislature.mi.gov/publications/tenantl..., page 5, number 8, a written lease shall not include a provision which: 

"Provides for the landlord to take a security interest in any of the tenant’s personal property to assure payment of rent or other charges, except as specifically permitted by statute;"

Are these enforceable? Should I sign a lease with these provisions? 

Thanks.

Lisa

Loading replies...