To install gutters on C-Class duplex or not to?

13 Replies

We just closed on a C class duplex in Highland Park area of Richmond , Virginia. We are house hacking it (mostly to satisfy FHA requirements). We gt a pretty good deal on it. One problem is, rather than replacing the rotted metal roof with another metal roof, the previous owner just boarded off the built-in gutters and put asphalt shingle roof on. The problem exists now that there are no gutters, and water just puddles around the foundation of the house. It has probably been like this since abut 2009.

We got a quote for some hanging gutters and 5 downspouts for $2k. We bought the Place for $85k

I look at other rental properties around town and I see that a lot of people just leave them without gutters, but I assume this is not good for the foundation of the house (which was built in 1910 and has already settled considerably).

So I'm looking for opinions on whether to install gutters for a 10-15 year ownership time frame (probably more like 10) or not to. any feedback is appreciated.

I would protect my investment by installing gutters. Water causes so much damage. It's cheap preventative maintenance. Just keep them clear of tree debris.

I would recommend installing gutters.  It is more of a future cost avoidance rather than a value add but could save you some real problems if you are having any drainage issues.

Consensus says that I should put gutters. My gut said yes, but you never know. Thank you for the feedback!

This post has been removed.

I would get multiple bids and ask the contractor to list the material and labor separately.

I would suspect that material for gutters is pretty cheap so you might think about doing it yourself as it would not be a hard job or take too long.

Grading the ground around the house to slope away from the foundation is a good diy job that may be a reasonable alternative.

@AustinYoumans: I like the idea of doing it myself, but I have such little experience with DIY so far (working on it) I don't trust myself to take on something like this. I will get more estimates and I didn't think about the labor/material cost thing. I'll definitely do that. 

Thank you all for the feedback

@Matthew Maggy you want to reduce your exposure to loss and your unknowns. $2K for gutters is the way to do this. Pay close attention do handling downspout discharge as well.

Best to you. Keep your building envelope tight and risks low.

I used Layman Brothers out of Powhatan to do my gutters on my flip in N Dinwiddie. $355 seamless gutters for a 1100 sq ft house, in and out in a day. Quick, affordable did a good job and I thought they were great. Just a thought if you go with gutters and need a quote.

I just had around 80 feet of seamless ran on both the front and back of a 4 unit building with 8 downs for $860.00. Get some more quotes for sure.
I just had around 80 feet of seamless ran on both the front and back of a 4 unit building with 8 downs for $860.00. Get some more quotes for sure.

Got a quote from Lowes for $1784 including screens. I have 156 ft. of seamless gutters, so I will probably go with Lowes .

$355? That's like how much the material cost I think?

Thank you for the feedback. 

Originally posted by @Matthew Maggy :

Got a quote from Lowes for $1784 including screens. I have 156 ft. of seamless gutters, so I will probably go with Lowes .

$355? That's like how much the material cost I think?

Thank you for the feedback. 

$355 material and install. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here