Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
D J Burand
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
Any advice re: additional app w/ service pet= 1 too many pets.

D J Burand
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Anchorage, AK
Posted Oct 11 2015, 19:44

First post here, but I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me out with some advice on a new situation (to me anyway).

I own a fourplex in Anchorage, AK.  One of our tenants is asking to add an additional applicant (boyfriend).  She is on a 6 month lease, expiring in December.  She currently has 1 cat, which fits within our pet policy of 1 small pet up to 25lbs.  Here's the rub:

About two months ago she asked if we had any other units which allowed two pets, as she was thinking about living with her boyfriend, who has a 7yr old greyhound.  I explained that unfortunately all of our units followed the one pet policy.  She said that was ok, and mentioned that she would probably be moving at the end of her lease in December to a place that allows more pets.  That was the end of the conversation.

One week ago she told me her boyfriend wanted to move in with her, and asked for an application (as our policy is to screen all tenants).  I didn't mention the dog at the time, and just sent her the application.  She returned it to me today, and her boyfriend has listed his greyhound as an emotional service animal, providing certificates, and denoted that there would now be two pets in the unit (including the cat).  She has asked me to call her to speak about that, and we've arranged an appointment.  According to the dog's certificate, it was obtained Sept 24th of this year, meaning that the dog has been around  7 years but only now is a service animal.  I haven't had the opportunity to contact references or do a background check on the rest of the application, but at a first glance there are no reasons to deny the boyfriend (no criminal history, prior rental history, etc.). I'm guessing he will more or less check out.  Last piece:  this tenant is a more or less good tenant, and I've never had to take action for any issues with her.  

Finally, just to be clear, I don't have any issues with emotional support animals, nor do I wish to discriminate against those who actually need them.  I am also aware that I am not allowed to deny or charge for an emotional support animal.  Nor may I ask for something like a doctors note to prove the emotional need.  That said, we have a policy, and the whole thing smells as someone who went to one of the commercial websites and just purchased an emotional support animal certificate expressly to circumvent our pet policy.

So here's my question:  

Assuming the boyfriend does check out, how do I handle this situation with two animals??

On one hand, her cat is not a service animal.  I can say he can move in if the cat moves out? (Net 1 pet)

Do I just take it and hope she stays long term?

Do I just take it, and not renew her lease to resolve the issue?  (Leaving us trying to fill a unit in the middle of winter..  Not easy in AK)

And if we let the boyfriend move in, with now two pets in the unit, what message does this send to the other three tenants?

That was a long read, but I wanted to provide as much background as possible.  If you're still with me, I appreciate you reading and any advice you can give.  Of course, if this issue has already been addressed elsewhere please just point me in the right direction.  Thank you.

Loading replies...